title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CDRipper - Re-Rips - > 5 hour re-rips?

CDRipper - Re-Rips - > 5 hour re-rips?

On two nearly identical systems running Vista 64 bit, 4GB of RAM and Plextor Premiums, I'm running into some CDs that just don't want to rip clean. What I'm seeing is the re-rips is taking well over 5 hours before I just give up. While it does progress through the process, it's taking way longer than I figure it should. One CD shows >19000 frames to re-rip while the other >3000. On both systems, the drives show they're in Ultra DMA mode 2 with DMA enabled. And normally, rips without issue go by fast or if something does need to be re-ripped, it's not to this degree and goes by fast. But with 3 CDs so far, they seem pretty bad.

Any ideas?

edit: Using dbPowerAmp 12.3 over 12.2 reference (2 purchased licenses). UltraSecure is enabled (minimum 1, max 6, end after 1), C2 error pointers with clear read cache enabled and 0 for buffer. If the DuplexSecure SPTD version matters it's V1.50
    Last edited by reelmccoy; 07-22-2007 at 02:38 AM.

Administrator

Re: CDRipper - Re-Rips - > 5 hour re-rips?

>One CD shows >19000 frames to re-rip while the other >3000

That is lots of bad frames, the cd is very damaged.

I normally only see the ripper wanting to rip a lot of bad frames if my CD drive has dropped down to PIO mode. Are these drives IDE or SATA?

These drives are PATA. I did recheck to make sure VISTA gives them the DMA treatment that I know Spoon has posted about.

As to the CDs, I saw no visible scratches or damage so the only other explanation I have is CD rot. These discs were left on a shelf after my first rip session to MP3s years ago. But CDs don't last forever. Then I was questioning the Premiums and have been trying to find a brand/make of drive I know supports things like C2 and works great at securely ripping CDs but it hasn't been an easy search.

I did manage to rip the problematic tracks and match Accurip so that's good. I just freaked when my first attempt was yielding massive re-rip times. The second time around, it was going by about a second a frame which seemed faster than the first attempt.

Thanks for the help.

Administrator

There is also another possibility, modern drives are accurate stream, but I have seen drives (just 1 drive, once) become confused and constantly rip another pass with an offset (so accurate stream was not functioning), when this happens all the frames would miss match and be classed as errors.