title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tag/audio corruption after using another app??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aBob
    • May 2007

Tag/audio corruption after using another app??

Edit: (Just found the answer to this on the MM forum. Be sure you have the build 2.5.5.998 !!!)
    -----

I enjoy trying new (usually free) players and tools for working with my audio files. I had heard about one, and decided to try it, won't mention the name but it's initials are MM.

I happened with dMC R12.3 Reference, to want to convert some tagged flac files to mp3. A lot of them. When I looked back, it was finished, and a long screen of error messages regarding corruptioin and md5.

I don't want to continue investigating, but this is what I've found. If I allow MM to associate an image (album art) with an audio (flac) file, things seem to be ok with the file, except dbPoweramp Convertor and the shell tagging/Properties have problems. The tagger/Properties simply say the mp3 produced does not have tags at all. The convertor converts, but reports corruption. I tried Directory Opus, it shows no tags for the mp3s. Windows Media Player 9 seems to be able to read them, however.

I realize I don't always stay right in touch with everything. Is this due to the type of encoding (UTF-8, ANSI, Unicode... I know little about these) or is there a bug in some program somewhere?

I normally use foobar2000, it does not corrupt anytihng, but I had to check compatibility mode for mp3s.

To be clear, I'm talking about mediamonkey player/organizer. Ver 2.5.5.996. Just hope not to get sued. I was really liking it.

Code:
    Error converting to mp3 (Lame), 'H:\flacs\David Bowie\Santa Monica '72\01-Intro.flac' to 'K:\om\flacs\David Bowie\Santa Monica '72.mp3f\01-Intro.mp3'     md5 did not match decoded data, file is corrupt.
    Code:
    dBpoweramp Music Converter
    Release 12.2 BETA
    Registration Status
    Reference: Registered
    All Media Guide: 292 Days Access Remaining

dBpoweramp Audio Player
    Audio player extraordinaire

dBpoweramp CD Writer
    Audio CD burning simplicity

Sveta Portable Audio
    Enhance your portable player
    Last edited by aBob; 07-17-2007, 10:44 AM. Reason: updated info
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Tag/audio corruption after using another app??

If you use MM to remove the album art and then add the album art with dMC, does it work then?

Comment

• aBob
      • May 2007

Hi Lt Data... I'm a little afraid to tinker with it... they provided a tool to try to remedy the corruption, if I have to I'll use that. But, they seemed to be taking complete responsibility, as - I've forgotten what they did wrong - but they said what it was, and that it was a bug with MM. It is supposed to be corrected now.

I do not put art in the file, I use folder.jpg, normally. Their program seems to embed a link of some sort to the art in the tag.

Thanks!

Bob

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

If your afraid to delete your files, make a copy of them and then work on the copy.

Comment

• aBob
          • May 2007

I am looking into this. From what I've found out from my testing, the files (flacs) will play fine, but they fail the FLAC integrity/decode check. They cannot be converted to other formats (at least mp3) using dbpoweramp or just command-line conversion.

I downloaded something which is supposed to 'fix' the flacs, but I have no idea what it does. It seems to do absolutely nothing.

I had backups, but I allowed MM to scan my entire filesystem. I think the only files which are corrupt, are ones I edited tags on.

I may be mistaken about some of this, I'm a bit nervous at the thought of having to re-rip so many cds, although I have them here, so it is not impossible. The decode test says something about file truncated. I am playing them in fb2k though.

Bob

ps - sorry, this probably does not belong in the beta forum. Also, it does not (to answer your question, Lt Data) necessarily involve album art, just having written to the tags.

Edit: Here's an update - I found out how to 'fix' the corrupt files by placing the tool in MM's script directory and running it on a folder (album) of flacs. MM said that only five of eight tracks were corrupt, and that it had fixed those five. But they still do not convert to mp3. Here is a link to the explanation:
          link
          Last edited by aBob; 07-20-2007, 03:03 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

In the options in dbpoweramp you can set to ignore any flac errors, or if ignore is off, then convert all your flac files to Test Conversion, dbpoweramp will tell you which are corrupted.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>