title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: [Length] tag in R12.2different than previous versions – how do I get original format?

Unhappy [Length] tag in R12.2different than previous versions – how do I get original format?

I have thousands of audio files all of which were created and named with previous versions of dBpoweramp CD Ripper and ALL filenames end with a duration time stamp in the format (hh.mm.ss). A typical CD Ripper filenaming command would have been:

[artist] – [title] ([year]) ([Length])

and an example result in previous versions would have been (ignoring the double quotes):

"Hans Zimmer – One Day (2007) (4.01).ape"

Now in R12.2 Ref, the [Length] tag has been changed to output in milliseconds so the above filename becomes:

"Hans Zimmer – One Day (2007) (241560).ape"

Now to the average person, 241560 ms is a meaningless number, since most of us don’t think in milliseconds.

I noticed a previous person, Tod Zimmerman, complained about this problem in a thread posted 2007-03-08.

This change has essentially left me “high and dry”. I have CD’s I need to rip and the new filenames must remain consistent with older ones.

I am left with two options: a) don’t rip any CD’s until you correct this oversight, or b) uninstall the R12.2 reference version which I paid for and reinstall my previous version. Option A is not a viable option at this point in time – my work must progress!

In the future, if you wish to change the function or output of a tag, create a new one with a similar name, such as [Lengthms]. Don’t assume no one is depending on the tag’s functionality.
    Last edited by wmoonshine; 07-05-2007 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Error in title

Administrator

Re: [Length] tag in R12.2different than previous versions – how do I get original format?

The naming between r11.5 and r12 is only part compatible, r12 offers so much more. We have fixed this issue in r12.3, soon to beta.

Re: [Length] tag in R12.2different than previous versions – how do I get original format?

Thank you for your attention to this issue. I will be waiting for r12.3 beta. In the meantime, I will enter the playing times manually into the filenames.
    Last edited by wmoonshine; 07-06-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Expanded comment.