title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems Installing Nero AAC Codec

Problems Installing Nero AAC Codec

I've been pulling out my own hair for over an hour now but I can't install this m4a codec.

I downloaded the required zip file from nerodigital.com..

Then I opened the zip file in winrar, opened the folder win32 and heres where i met my first problem...

i couldn't 'COPY' the neroAacEnc file, as I was instructed to do. I right clicked.. no copy function.. I looked for an edit meno in win zip.. nothing. I double clicked on neroAacEnc.. then I doubled clicked on every other .exe contained in the 'win32' folder. I even extracted them to the folder where they were meant to appear, but still my music converter tells me I need to install it.

whats more, it wont let me change my .flac files to .mp3s either. it wont let me convert anything to anything. it just keeps telling me about this nero aacencoder which i'm not sure i even want anymore cos I seem to have messed up the whole music converter program.

please help. I've tried you're new beta aacencoder but i'm having the same problem. Just so you know I'm Windows XP, if that helps. And not so good with computers. :blush:

Re: Problems Installing Nero AAC Codec

By "Copy" I believe it meant either drag-and-drop the .exe into the folder or extract to the folder. You put the nero .exe into the "m4a Nero (AAC)" folder, correct? Then you pointed dMC to the correct .exe? If you are unhappy with the Nero codec, just go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall that codec.

Administrator

Try this, open the nero zip and find a button extract, extract all the files, to say C:\ then do the move from drive c: to where they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    Try this, open the nero zip and find a button extract, extract all the files, to say C:\ then do the move from drive c: to where they should be.
    thanks for your help. I tried extracting exactly as you instructed but still when I open music converter, and choose a file, this grey box pops up saying I need to install a separate encoder from nerodigital and assumes i want to convert to m4a. I'm worried that my dbmusic converter program is also messed up now.

all the .exe files in the zip come up as white undefined boxes, does that help? and when i run them a black screen briefly comes up then disappears.

Should I uninstall music converter completely and start again? :(

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    By "Copy" I believe it meant either drag-and-drop the .exe into the folder or extract to the folder. You put the nero .exe into the "m4a Nero (AAC)" folder, correct? Then you pointed dMC to the correct .exe?
    how do i point dMC to the correct .exe?

Administrator

If you move nero encoder which you unziped into dbpoweramps folder (see the help file for m4a for the exact folder) then you will not have to tell dbpoweramp where to find the nero codec.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    If you move nero encoder which you unziped into dbpoweramps folder (see the help file for m4a for the exact folder) then you will not have to tell dbpoweramp where to find the nero codec.
    yeah.. i did that. i did exactly what it says in the help file?

now ive uninstalled the m4a codec completely but my music converter still wont work because the mp3 codec i installed yesterday has expired?! Do i have to register it or buy it or something???

Administrator

Yes

To be a little more precise-Music Converter will work without registering, but it you need the registered version to create mp3 files (the unregistered basic version will read mp3 files and will allow you to rip convert to other formats). The registered version does allow you other features as well (the various DSP effects and features among others).

Best wishes,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by xoas
    To be a little more precise-Music Converter will work without registering, but it you need the registered version to create mp3 files (the unregistered basic version will read mp3 files and will allow you to rip convert to other formats). The registered version does allow you other features as well (the various DSP effects and features among others).

Best wishes,
    Bill
    thank you :komisch9:

It should also be noted that, in the download from Nero, there's a file called "neroAacEnc_SSE2.exe", which I assume is an SSE2 friendly build of the codec. If you rename that to "neroAacEnc.exe" and copy it to your "m4a Nero (AAC)" directory, it increases encoding speed by about 10% (in my experience).

If you have an old processor that doesn't support SSE2, generally anything older than Athlon 64 or Pentium 4, you might not see any benefit, the encoding might actually be slower, or you may get an error message.

I'm sorry if I am missing something fundamental here, but I'm an idiot with computers & would like a little clarification BEFORE I screw something up & regret it.

I wish to install the Nero AAC codecs properly with my dMC 12.2 which still has 18 days left on trial. I have Windows Vista Ultimate. I have WinZip installed.

The dMC help file for this codec says...

2) Open the zip file (by double clicking on it)...

OK - I've done that & see the files in the zip file

...and open the folder win32...

Here's my big concern. What win32 folder where? I don't see a win32 folder in the Zip file. I've poked around the C drive on my computer & don't see a win32 folder there either. I REALLY need help interpreting this instruction.

...select neroAacEnc...

OK -- I see neroAacEnc.exe in the Zip file; it is one of 7 files in the Zip file & I know how to highlight it.

...and copy (Edit menu >> Copy)...

Well, I know what copy means but I'm wondering if you mean extract (see below)

...Open a new explorer window, it is important the old zip window is left open (press Windows Key + E) and browse to:

C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\encoder\m4a Nero (AAC)...

OK -- got that done

...In the above folder select (Edit menu >> Paste). After extracting...

Once again, am I pasting or extracting? I need clarification here...

...the following files should be present in the above folder:

encoder Text Document
    Nero Bitmap Image
    neroAacEnc Application

And I certainly hope they will be after I get a little help so I do it correctly. Thanks in advance... :smile2:

One more question. My assumption is that I will pay for the Reference version shortly after I assure myself that I can use it properly. Is the "registration" referred to in the above posts a different process? I don't remember doing that yet. When do I need to do that and/or do I need to do it before I get this whole Nero thing going?

Thanks again & sorry for the dumb questions.

I never had this problem when installing the Nero program, I just opened the zip file and dragged the file to the folder that I wanted it to reside in. As this happened to be the location referred to in the help document it was picked up automatically.

When you pay for the reference version you are in effect registering the program.

You can continue to use the trial version of the Music Converter as long as you like it is only if you still require to use those features that become disabled once the trial period expires do you only need to register (or buy) the complete Reference version.

Using the Nero encoder doesn't require the registered/full version.
    Last edited by Wayne; 07-04-2007 at 02:36 PM.

When you open a zip file (called a zipped folder in XP and probably Vista) you can either extract contents to a destination of your choice, or actually just drag and drop a file from the zip file right into your destination.

Do you have C:\WINDOWS\system32 ? No idea if this is what's meant though, I don't have Vista.

win32 as a folder only seems to exist in relation to some other applications like Java SDK and things built on it. Doesn't look like it would have anything to do with dBpowerAMP..... unless it's part of the R12 somehow (which I don't have yet).

Administrator

>What win32 folder where?

Some zip programs show all the files in the zip in one go, others such as the one built into windows xp will show a folder win32 within the zip you have opened.