title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ogg vorbis files to not display album covers on CD,DVD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rayi23
    • Feb 2007

ogg vorbis files to not display album covers on CD,DVD

I decided to use ogg vorbis for many of the songs because it sounds pretty decent at very low resolutions, especially with a not so great sound system on a computer running Windows 98. I wanted to put all my songs on a DVD to play at work. But the album covers do not show when I burned them to DVD. They don't even show on the computer I created them on. Now the songs I left as mp3 showed the album covers. I am wondering why this is so? I used MediaMonkey to tag the files. Is ogg vorbis known for this behavior. I used dBpower amp to convert them. When you use dBpower amp to convert mp3 to another birate, vbr, the album covers reamain but you lose them when you convert them to ogg vorbis. Also I just used the regular ogg vorbis. thanks
    Last edited by rayi23; 06-27-2007, 02:19 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ogg vorbis files to not display album covers on CD,DVD

Ogg Vorbis has no standard way of storing album art.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rayi23
      • Feb 2007

Well, that about makes it not useable in my eye. I wasn't aware of this, particularly with all the rave reviews. It's too bad because it does sound pretty good at the lowest birate. The creator must be one those people that is not visually oriented. On another note, one of the reason I did alot of ogg vorbis files, was that I was having difficulty with converting mp3 to a very low birate using vbr which sounds pretty decent as well but I was getting inconsistent readings on the amount of time that is displayed for the song in MediaMonkey. It was displaying time like .30. This time also shows in properties. Now when I pull down length in properties, it does display the correct time, 5.03. What is with the two categories: duration and length. I had simliar problems using MusicMatch in the past. It has been a source of annoyance in the past, as well. Any reason behind this behavior? I am using the latest dBpower Amp 12.2.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

We cannot comment on possible issues in other programs, such as Media Monkey.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rayi23
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
          We cannot comment on possible issues in other programs, such as Media Monkey.
          It just seems best to not use dBpowerAmp converter is the conclusion I have come to. I've just had nothing but things go wrong with hours of endless waste of time, frustration and no answers; it seems odd that the majority of conversions are ok but about 10 percent more or less begin to take on this behavior.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

We use the lame encoder, any other program which uses lame, including media monkey its self would create identical files...
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rayi23
              • Feb 2007

We use the lame encoder, any other program which uses lame, including media monkey its self would create identical files...
              Although, I did say that in "Windows XP" properties, it shows the duration as .30 for example; MediaMonkey is only reading from the "Properties" in WinXP via the file. So you can't blame MediaMonkey. Actually, MediaMonkey has nothing to do with it. I shouldn't even have brought up MediaMonkey. The orginal file shows the correct duration but when it is converted, it shows .30, etc. I didn't notice it at first. But when I look through the hundreds that I converted some showed this type of behavior.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

XP is rubbish at reading VBR mp3 files, it does not read the XING header (which every decent mp3 decoder does) to get the exact length. If you want XP to show correct mp3 file lengths, then you only have 1 choice, encode to CBR.

BTW dBpoweramp can replace Windows XP length column with its own which would be correct.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rayi23
                  • Feb 2007

How do you replace WinXP length column with its own? I still don't understand the difference between the duration and the length column. Actually, the length colulmn shows the correct time. If MediaMonkey would read the length column, then there wouldn't be a problem but it reads the duration. Encoding to CBR low birate is not feasible but VBR at lowest birate I found good enough for my purposes.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

If the column is in Media Monkey, then it has nothing to do with Windows Explorer.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rayi23
                      • Feb 2007

I hate to bring up MediaMonkey but I was just using it as an example. Because the fact remains that in WinXP properties, I just did a test and found 14 out 15 mp3 files that were converted in VBR gave numbers such as .17, .23, .19, etc. for the "Duration", though in the "Length" column in properties, it gives the correct time. It seems that MediaMonkey looks in the "Duration" column for the time, rather than the "Length" column in WinXP properties. I noticed that I did not have this problem in MusicMatch, so it must be reading from the "Length" in properties. I also tested your dBpowerAMP-r2player and found that it read from the "Length" column in properties, giving the correct time. It seems the "Duration" column is suseptible to corruption easier for mp3 VBR. MediaMonkey uses the word "Length" but it is using "Duration". It still doesn't explain why you get those odd numbers, when the original file reads the correct time under the "Duration" column, except, as you state that it is that WinXP does not handle VBR well. But I wouldn't be having this problem if MediaMonkey would read from the "Length" column, instead of "Duration" in WinXP propties. I hope this makes better sense. At least, this is what it appears to me. This is too bad, as MediaMonkey is an excellent player with plenty of useful bells and whistles. I will have to address this issue. I don't know how many players read from one or the other. A choice would also solve the problem

Comment

• bhoar
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2006

The Duration column might be generated by sampling the first MP3 frame and getting the instantaneous bitrate *of that frame* and extrapolating based on the file size. A lot of old mp3 programs/players used to do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if that column is being generated by windows-internal routines...

-brendan

Comment

• rayi23
                          • Feb 2007

XP is rubbish at reading VBR mp3 files, it does not read the XING header (which every decent mp3 decoder does) to get the exact length. If you want XP to show correct mp3 file lengths, then you only have 1 choice, encode to CBR.

BTW dBpoweramp can replace Windows XP length column with its own which would be correct.
                          I still don't understand how this is done.

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

If you are referring to the columns, go into dBpoweramp Configuration, go to the "Music Converter" tab and check "Enable Explorer Columns". Now open up an explorer window, change the view to "Details", right-click on a column and choose "More..." then scroll down to the bottom, then look up until you see "Length". Check it, click OK, then drag the "Length" column to where you want it. If you want all of your windows to look like this, go to Tools --> Folder Options in that window, click the View tab, then click "Apply to All Folders". Click Yes and now you will have the dMC Length column in all of your explorer windows with the correct time.

Comment

• rayi23
                              • Feb 2007

It still bugs me that every mp3 that I convert to VBR shows these strange numbers like .13, .19, .20 in the duration colulmn, in the detail view in a folder in Windows instead of the actual time of the song. It used to be a few would do it. Now every one shows in the duration as those odd numbers.

Comment

Working...

]]>