title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

error reading metadata

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Jun 2007

error reading metadata

this is the error i get when converting from flac to mp3. It worked on 4 disk but the 5th and 6th it did not work. Any advice?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: error reading metadata

What exactly are you doing to get the error? Ripping CDs?
    When it says "error reading", does it just not show any meta-data for the CD, just "Track 1" and such?

Comment

• ZootHorn
      • Aug 2007

Hello,

I'm getting this same error message so I thought I'd tack on to this thread.

I was running DMC 11.5 and was having trouble converting from flac to wav. In researching that error I noticed there was a new version out so I thought I'd try that and see if it fixed my error. I am now on DMC 12.3.

When I run to convert flac to wav it fails and saids

Error converting to Wave, 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Downloads\1985May1LeoKottke\1985May1LeoKottkeD1Tr0 1.flac' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Downloads\1985May1LeoKottke\1985May1LeoKottkeD1Tr0 1.wav'
      Error reading metadata

That's it. No other message and the conversin fails.

Any ideas??

Thanks for any response.

Zoot.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Where did the FLAC files come from? If you use the official FLAC frontend, does it decode them successfully? Can your FLAC files be played on a media player?

Comment

• ZootHorn
          • Aug 2007

Hey, thanks for the quick response.

The flac files came from a bit torrent off of dimeadozen.

I just tried playing them in dAP and the don't play but after reading about the dMC upgrade to 12.x and how it's not compatible with dAP I'm not sure if they should play or not. I don't think I have anything else installed that plays flac.

I did convert some flac files just fine last week and I just tried to play one of those in dAP and it doesn't play either. Just shows 0:00 as the length.

I'm sorry, but i don't know what the 'official flac frontend' is. Would that be part of dMC? How do I get to it? Right now I just right click on the file and tell it to convert and it pulls up the dialog.

Thanks again for your response.

Zoot

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

First, uninstall dAP and install it to a separate folder from dMC r12 and use the Legacy FLAC codec in the Legacy Codec Central, linked to from the main Codec Central, as stated here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm

As for the flac frontend, don't worry about it and try playing your FLAC files in Winamp to make sure they are valid FLAC files.

Comment

• ZootHorn
              • Aug 2007

Hey Lt.

I do appreciate your taking the time to try and get me going. Here is what happened out of your last post...

I went into add/remove programs and removed dAP from the /illustrate/dBpowerAMP directory

I re-downloaded and installed dAP in a new directory /illustrate/dBpowerAMPpre12 directory

I went to the legacy codec central site and downloaded flac. I pointed it to the dBpowerAMPpre12 directory however it did say it found a version 9 of the codec and I was installing 5.3. I would have expected it not to find the newer one I installed for dMC. I clicked 'no' saying I didn't want it to de-install the other version.

While doing the install of the flac codec the splash screen mentioned Music Converter, which didn't seem appropriate. When the install of the codec finished it said it had an error whilst trying to execute and then gave the path and program for Music Converter. I'm not sure what I did to get it thinking I was doing any with MC.

So with all that dAP can't even see the flac files. If it try and re-install the flac codec it says it finds 5.3 and is installing 5.3 so it seems to know the old flac codec is there.

That all said and done I installed winamp and it can't play the flac files either. Guess I'm dealing with corrupted files from the download so this all was for naught.

I'll just use winamp to play things until they get dAP et al updated to work with the V12 architecture I guess.

So I should be good if I start with good flac files I guess. Too bad I torrented these months ago so I probably won't be able to go for another download/correct versions.

Thanks again for all your help Lt.!

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Regarding the error, ignore the fact that it can't execute dMC, the codec should still work with dAP. Does "flac" show up as a filetype when your looking for files with dAP?
                As for the new version being detected, you were correct to not uninstall the version detected.
                If Winamp did not play your files, they probably are corrupt.

Comment

• rebelient
                  • Jan 2012

sorry i am really new to this. i just downloaded the trial version. with the flac codec as well. i found the files and triend converting them in mp3 for my ipod. then i got the error. any thoughts?

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

What error was shown?
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rebelient
                      • Jan 2012

error converting to mp3 (lame) (location and stuff)
                      error reading metadata

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

When the error page shows, press 'Copy to Clipboard', then right click on a message here >> Paste.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• eggerty
                          • Jul 2011

Oddly enough I've had this message about three times now over the past few months, including earlier today. I had used CD Ripper to rip to FLAC. I was then using Music Converter to convert the whole album from FLAC to Apple Lossless. One of the tracks would not convert and came up with an error about reading the metadata. When I tried to convert it on it's own it still wouldn't go. In the end I re-ripped the single track and tried again and it worked fine.

As I said this has occurred to me approx 3 times in the past few months. In that time I have converted several hundred CDs this way so it isn't a big problem, apart from the fact that if there was a problem with the originally ripped file then had I not been converting it I wouldn't have known.

Comment

• Magicd0n
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by rebelient
                            error converting to mp3 (lame) (location and stuff)
                            error reading metadata
                            I'm having this problem on flacs that play fine in VLC.

Error converting to Wave, '\\psf\Home\Desktop\Cities Music\Einaudi, Ludovico - 2004 - I Giorni\05 - Stella del mattino.flac' to '\\psf\Home\Desktop\05 - Stella del mattino.wav'
                            Error reading metadata

It doesn't seem to matter which format I am trying to convert to.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Please email one of your flac files:

Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>