title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: crc verification?

crc verification?

Some or all codec audio files created by dbpoweramp music converter have crc data embedded in them, correct? I know my flac and mp3 files indicate they do. What I don't know, is how a person would or could go about easily and fairly quickly verifying if files have become corrupt.

I found (just through web search) more info than I did now, on ffp (flac fingerprint) verification files. It now seems to me, if I understand correctly, that the flac will not decode without errors if it is corrupted? And I found a request here, again through web search, I don't know where it is... requesting ffp file creation, but from what I read, ffp files really are only particularly useful in identifying a recording source, etc.

I have hundreds of gigs of lossless (mostly flac) and lossy audio files, and had a situation a while back, in trying to retrieve many of them from a failing hard drive, about one in one hundred was corrupted. It was really a nightmare. I still occasionally trade shn/flac legitimate recordings of live concerts, and need to be able to verify the integrity of files.

So, I would also like to request, or know if there is any way existing already, to be able to verify the crc checksum embedded in the file. I think it would probably be a small thing... if the checksum embedded in flacs is the same checksum generated by metaflac.exe, that's even better.

Thanks a lot for the work.

Bob

Re: crc verification?

Maybe you should try the audiotester from http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php
    It can check MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Flac and Wavpack files.
    For checking Ape-files go to http://www.monkeysaudio.com. The main program can make ape-files but can verify them also.
    I don't know if there's a testprogram for Shorten.

P.S. Would be nice though if DBpoweramp could check the files also
    Last edited by Tigerman; 05-13-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Administrator

Convert all your flac files to Test Conversion, if there are any errors it will show at the end (check that in Codec Options in dBpoweramp Configuration that encountered flac errors are not ignored).

I know a testconversion is a possibility, but that's not as fast as the audiotester.

Administrator

It should be, it decodes as fast as your computer can read a flac file.

It should be, it decodes as fast as your computer can read a flac file.
    That's true, but with audiotester and monkey's audio I can drop a file or directory and the results are directly visible.
    Would like an utility like audiotester but then with support for all formats with verification capabilities.