title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems burning 90 min CD

Re: Problems burning 90 min CD

However dbPowerAMP allows to create 90 min CDs. Perhaps you are right; but what to do to get in a CD an 82 min ape file? I have spent a lot of time in search of a program that allows burning ape files, but I have found none. Can you give a bit of advice?

If you need to burn your APE file to a CD, you can always use dMC to convert the file to a WAV fhile, which every burning program should support.

Thanks for the advice, but even though I converted the ape file into a wav one it doesn't work either, even burning at 1x speed. Towards the end (about 99% written) the message "unknown error" appear on the screen. Do you have another suggestion? Perhaps using Nero burner? I don't know. The question is that for less than 2 minutes I have spoiled a lot of 90 min CDs. If dBPowerAMP supports 90 min CD, why is it that doesn't work?
    Thanks for your time. Hope to hear you again.
    Josep M. Viņas

Angry Re: Problems burning 90 min CD

I haven't got any message since my last post. What does it mean? Is there no solution or you haven't got any bloody idea on how burning 90 min CDs. One of the answers is that I was lucky. What an answer! This means nothing. If the program allows to create this sort of CDs it should work properly, otherwise it's simply a trick to catch naif people. Sorry for the anger. What would you think if you had wasted 20 CDs? They are not cheap. Do you think I'm going to waste my money?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jmvinas
    I haven't got any message since my last post. What does it mean? Is there no solution or you haven't got any bloody idea on how burning 90 min CDs. One of the answers is that I was lucky. What an answer! This means nothing. If the program allows to create this sort of CDs it should work properly, otherwise it's simply a trick to catch naif people. Sorry for the anger. What would you think if you had wasted 20 CDs? They are not cheap. Do you think I'm going to waste my money?
    90 minute CD-Rs are *waaay* out of the specifications of any of the "book" formats. If they ever work at all on any combination of blank disc, recording drive, OS and software, it's a miracle.

They shouldn't even be on the market. I concur with the earlier post: you were lucky.

-brendan

The question now is that 90 min CDs should be out of the market. Nothing to say against or pro. The question is that some files I have downloaded from e-Mule are a little bit longer than 80 min (about 82-83 min). I don't know any way of cutting it into two pieces. In this case are the 3rd. and 4th. Beethoven's Symphonies recorded in 1963 by Karajan. They come together in the same file. What to do? If you have some advice I will be grateful.
    Thanks to everybody that has tried to help me.
    Josep M. Viņas

Since you have made 90 minute CDs with (I presume) dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW) successfully in the past without (I presume) significant trouble, I am hesitant to ascribe your past success to good luck or your current problems to bad luck.

I presume that you have not changed your CD burner (we have 2 threads, including the thread that Keith mentioned earlier in this thread, where similar problems were solved by changing the CD burner), so we will leave that out of the equation.

I note that you have mentioned trouble with converting APE to wave under dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) 12.1. So I would wonder about whether you have
    dCW (which requires dMC 11.5) and dMC 12.1 correctly installed. Please check the compatibility guide instructions here:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm

If you have any doubt about whether you have these programs configured correctly, I would recommend that you uninstall dMC 12.1, dMC 11.5 (or earlier), and reinstall dMC 11.5 (along with any of the Legacy codecs that dMC requires from Legacy Codec Central-the r 12 codecs will NOT work with dMC 11.5 or earlier, meaning the new codecs will NOT work with dCW). Then install dMC 12.1 (and any of the newer codecs) to a separate location.

If you are sure that this is not your problem, could you tell us what Windows version you are using?

Best wishes,
    Bill

Not even in this way, letting aside the problems to download the 11.5 version, I can manage to do it. I have Windows XP Professional, amd the old version caused me no trouble except the 90 min CD burning. I have downloaded the new Codecs, but they don't appear in the CD writer; they do in the Music Converter. This is an annoyance since some recordings sound much better in a flac or ape mode than the common wave or mp3.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Josep M.

You HAVE to have dCW and dMC r12 installed to different locations, as they are not compatible. Also, codecs for dMC r11.5 and dCW are in Legacy Codec Central, linked to from the main Codec Central.

Edit: thread moved to dCW support.

Josep-
    Please check on the following:
    1. Do you have dMC r11.5 installed in its default location and do you have dMC r12 (or later) installed to an entirely different folder on your hard drive? (The default location for dMC r 11.5 should be drive letter: program files/illustrate/dBpowerAMP).

2. Is CD Writer installed to the same folder as dMC r11.5? (It will show as a folder called dCW as well as an icon for CDWriter. If this is not shown, then CD Writer needs to be uninstalled and re-installed to the correct location).

3. Are your codecs installed in a folder called Compression that is in the same folder as dMC ?

4. Are you sure that the codecs in the Compression folder are all from Legacy Codec Central? (If not, please uninstall your codecs and re-install codecs from Legacy Codec Central only).

5. If all of these things are in place, open CD Writer, open a folder of music files containing tracks you want to convert and burn to CD format. Make sure that the menu next to the black arrow pointing to the left of the screen where it says File Type is set to [All] (if it is not it will only display files that are of whatever type your have selected in that menu).

If you have gone through the steps above and find that CD Writer is NOT recognizing particular file types, AND if you are sure that you have installed the correct codec in the correct location, please let us know and tell us which codec or codecs are not working. If you have .flac files with the .fla extension there is an option I believe in dCM Configuration to allow dCM to recognize .fla files as .flac (the .fla extension is also used by Flash files and if dCM tries to read/convert a Flash file as a Flac file it will crash-this is the reason why this is an option rather than an automatic setting).

PLease let us know how you make out.

Best wishes,
    Bill