title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: www.exceltagger.com for tag editing in excel

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

www.exceltagger.com for tag editing in excel

i have been building a music collection in flac and been doing lots of tag editing. eventually i gave up on mp3tag and spent a couple of weeks building my own program. you know what its like building stuff - gives you a certain joy if others like it too. so i made it free and stuck it on doman www.exceltagger.com

so far it only supports .flac files which is all i need. but if the world loves it i will add wma and others.

the good news is the the editing happens in excel so you only have use my interface to get the files in and out and then have all excel's powerful features on hand. nice?

thanks, william

Re: www.exceltagger.com for tag editing in excel

William,

I am a Slim Devices user and have all my music data placed in mostly FLACs, MP3.

Your product would make managing and organizing my music database a lot easier. However, support for MP3 would definitely complete the picture. Of course support for WMA and other popular formats would be very nice as well.

I like your "keep it simple" approach and the flexibility Excel provides!

Keep up the good work!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

thanks adding mp3 tag support is a real pain - otherwise i would have done it (see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3*Cri..._and_problems).

i found some info on converting mp3 to flac (which has no quality loss) and then converting back to mp3. Although this 2 generation copy will have a lower quality than the original especially in the bit rate settings are different, it is actually not as much as you might think.

So I have come to the view that converting all ones music to flac and then managing the entire collection in that and exporting to other formats using dbpoweramp etc is a reasonalbe solution.

This is especially true if you use a squeezebox player and generally play flac anyway except on portable devices. I work this way turning my .flac files to 256kbps aac for mu ipod or 256k atrac for my sony player when required. i put a comment in the .flac file tags to say source quality not optimal in case i come across the original cd to get a better version.
    Last edited by willyhoops; 05-15-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Willyhoops - I like this app, but I have one big problem with it. I use Foobar and commonly add multiple values in a single field: I use COMPOSER to track all songwriters, PERFORMER to track all individual band members and what they played, GENRE, STYLE and MOOD per the AllMusic lists, PRODUCER and ENGINEER, and one or two others. Each of these fields may or may not contain multiple values, but they usually do. Some of these fields are standard FLAC, some are custom for me.

When I load files into exceltagger, change just the COMPOSER field, and then export, the files lose all but one of the multiple values in all of these fields named above (except COMPOSER, which I just edited). I believe it keeps the value entered last and drops all others.

I've tested this a few different ways and can't seem to solve the problem. Any ideas or help?

This is a very cool app that will be very useful.......if I can solve this problem! Thanks.