title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RAW CD TOC and ISRC Flac Tags Not Being Saved

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randym
    • Jan 2007

RAW CD TOC and ISRC Flac Tags Not Being Saved

My tag options ask to save the CDDB Disc ID, the RAW CD TOC, the ISRC, and the UPC. Of these, only the CDDB Disc ID and the UPC shows up in the tags. I checked the tags with MP3Tag and the tag info that shows with putting the cursor over the file name in windows explorer (I think DBpoweramp drives that).

I can imagine that AMG might not have the ISRC, but the CD TOC is taken directly from the CD, right?

Thanks,
    Randy
  • Launfal
    • May 2005

Re: RAW CD TOC and ISRC Flac Tags Not Being Saved

On a similar note, I added Conductor as a tag to be written to FLAC files, and even though I selected it in options, it's not being written to the file, either.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

THe RAW TOC cannot be saved to a FLAC tag as there is no where to put it (flac does not support it).

Conductor could be saved, are you sure it is shown on the screen? ie there is a conductor from AMG?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Launfal
        • May 2005

Sometimes there is a conductor from AMG, and sometimes there's not. If there's not, I add it and make sure that I select the tag to write in options. But I just did a CD to check, and the conductor was listed by AMG.

So I ripped the CD, and when I checked the tags in Tag and Rename, there was no CONDUCTOR tag, so I added it. Then when I checked the tags in Foobar, I found the conductor in PERFORMER. So it's apparently writing the tag, but putting it in the wrong place?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

This keeps coming up, because other programs do not follow Ogg Vorbis spec, this is from the ogg vorbis v-comment development guide:

TITLE
          Track/Work name
          VERSION
          The version field may be used to differentiate multiple versions of the same track title in a single collection. (e.g. remix info)
          ALBUM
          The collection name to which this track belongs
          TRACKNUMBER
          The track number of this piece if part of a specific larger collection or album
          ARTIST
          The artist generally considered responsible for the work. In popular music this is usually the performing band or singer. For classical music it would be the composer. For an audio book it would be the author of the original text.
          PERFORMER
          The artist(s) who performed the work. In classical music this would be the conductor, orchestra, soloists. In an audio book it would be the actor who did the reading. In popular music this is typically the same as the ARTIST and is omitted.
          COPYRIGHT
          Copyright attribution, e.g., '2001 Nobody's Band' or '1999 Jack Moffitt'
          LICENSE
          License information, eg, 'All Rights Reserved', 'Any Use Permitted', a URL to a license such as a Creative Commons license ("www.creativecommons.org/blahblah/license.html") or the EFF Open Audio License ('distributed under the terms of the Open Audio License. see http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/eff_oal.html for details'), etc.
          ORGANIZATION
          Name of the organization producing the track (i.e. the 'record label')
          DESCRIPTION
          A short text description of the contents
          GENRE
          A short text indication of music genre
          DATE
          Date the track was recorded
          CONTACT
          Contact information for the creators or distributors of the track. This could be a URL, an email address, the physical address of the producing label.
          ISRC
          ISRC number for the track; see the ISRC intro page for more information on ISRC numbers.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Also, DESCRIPTION holds any "Comment" that was added to the file.

Comment

• randym
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
              THe RAW TOC cannot be saved to a FLAC tag as there is no where to put it (flac does not support it).
              1. I note that the ISRC is a supported flac tag, but I don’t believe it has been saved in any of my rips thus far. I take it AMG does not have this info for any CDs. Is that right?

2. With regard to TOC, what do you mean by flac does not support it? I am able to create any custom flac tag I like using MP3tag. I cannot count on applications to support my custom tags, but I can store the information for my own purposes. And there are applications that are flexible and allow one to define the flac tags that are to be used for certain purposes. For example, a freeware plugin for slimserver (custombrowse) allows one to sort music by any custom tags one specifies.

The primary reason to save the TOC, I gather, is to be able to possibly access online trac and album information in the future. It may be that online databases would not be able to access a custom flac TOC tag. But suppose Flac does support a TOC tag in the future? If I have a custom tag, I could perhaps rewrite the tag in the correct flac-supported format. Or suppose online databases are flexible enough to allow you to specify how the TOC is formatted.

Would it be technically difficult for DBpowerAMP to write a custom flac tag with the TOC. If not, would you have a philosophical objection to it?

A couple of related questions that I have wondered about:

A. Is it correct to say that the flac tags are nothing more than a header (field name) followed by text?

B. Are all official flac tags (other than album art) in the same text format? (That is, there are no special formats for numbers or dates etc.)

Thanks,
              Randy

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

a) Correct
                b) correct

The CD TOC is a binary item, you cannot store it as text unless you encode it to some format.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

How about an option to save the RAW TOC to a file in the album directory then. Also, can you ask jason about possible support of saving the TOC to FLAC files? I have been using the tag option but didnt even check to see that it was not being written. It would be nice if unavailable options were greyed out so users didnt think they were doing something they arent.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

It is not practical for CD Ripper to know all the tagging formats.

If someone wants to ask josh about a cd toc in flac...
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• randym
                      • Jan 2007

I like Elic's suggestion.

The option to save the TOC as a file in the folder could be just like the option now to save the album art in the folder--the option is offered regardless of the tagging format that is being used, so it wouldn’t complicate the ripper’s job at all.

Comment

• EliC
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by Spoon

If someone wants to ask josh about a cd toc in flac...
                        I PMed josh over at HA. Hope to get some feedback.

Comment

Working...

]]>