title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper Options not documented

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randym
    • Jan 2007

CD Ripper Options not documented

The help document for the CD Ripper options
    (C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Help\dMC\CDhelp.htm) gives no guidance concerning (1) the check box for “Read into lead-in or lead-out” and (2) the four “communication” options. (The 4 options are SCSI Pass through (SPT), Windows Internal, ASPI, and ASPI (ahead nero).

Is this documented somewhere else? If not, guidance here would be appreciated.

I very much like the ripper so far. I have heard good things about it in the slimserver forum and elsewhere. However, it would be reassuring if some explanation was given for why there are so few user-supplied settings relative to EAC. I have been using EAC with good success but I do not understand the settings (I simply accepted recommendations from an expert who now recommends DBpoweramp). I use EAC secure mode with “drive C2 error capable” not checked and “fill up missing offset samples with silence” checked. Does DBpoweramp use C2 error checking? (I understand some drives have C2 error checking but don’t do it right.) What is the deal with missing offset samples, and how does dBpoweramp deal with them?

I would think that a large share of your potential users now use EAC, so some info along these lines might help you convince them to make the switch.

Thanks,
    Randy
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: CD Ripper Options not documented

You need the PowerPack to get C2 error checking. Click the "Secure Settings" button beside the Secure selection and you have dMC to see if your CD drive supports C2.

I am not sure about missing offsets, I assume it just leaves them out.

As for the two options you mentioned. Click the "Secure Ripping and Advanced Options" link at the bottom of the CD help page to get explanation of them.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

If your drive supports c2, even badly then it is a help to dBpoweramp (we rip in a different way to EAC).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• randym
        • Jan 2007

[
        Originally posted by LtData
        You need the PowerPack to get C2 error checking. Click the "Secure Settings" button beside the Secure selection and you have dMC to see if your CD drive supports C2..
        I have reference. Does that include the powerpack? (Powerpack is not a listed product on the dbpoweramp main page.) In any case, reference does include a setting for c2 error checking that I missed before. However, I am having a problem. I understand my Plextor 716UF external drive has c2 error checking but the dbpoweramp test fails to detect it. It tried for about 40 minutes on a good CD and I then tried for about 15 minutes on a deliberately damaged CD. I tried ripping a CD with C2 error detection checked and ripping immediately failed on all tracks as a result. (The same CD accurately ripped when I unchecked C2 error checking.)

A thread devoted to tests of R-12 beta from last November includes posts by a user with my drive who had the same problem when his drive was connected via a USB port but not while it was connected via a firewire port. (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...47415-100.html)

I am using a firewire connection. So my problem is different. I’m using a laptop that has a mini firewire connector. Perhaps that is the problem.

As for the two options you mentioned. Click the "Secure Ripping and Advanced Options" link at the bottom of the CD help page to get explanation of them.
        I checked this page and I cannot find any discussion of the check box for “Read into lead-in or lead-out.” My c2 error tests were conducted with this box not checked.

Please advise.

Thanks,
        Randy

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

You don't test for C2 with a good CD, as the instructions state, but with a very scratched CD.

As for the lead-in/lead-out comment, from the file I mentioned:
          Read into Lead-in or Lead-out or often called over-reading if supported by the drive can be used to extract the few samples that would otherwise be lost (normally at the end of last track) these samples are normally silence so there is little to be gained by over-reading.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It is likely that your firewire chipset is not passing c2 information.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• randym
              • Jan 2007

You don't test for C2 with a good CD, as the instructions state, but with a very scratched CD.

As for the lead-in/lead-out comment, from the file I mentioned:

Quote:
              Read into Lead-in or Lead-out or often called over-reading if supported by the drive can be used to extract the few samples that would otherwise be lost (normally at the end of last track) these samples are normally silence so there is little to be gained by over-reading.
              LtData:

I was befuddled by the fact that you and I seemed to be reading different help documents. I could not find reference to “lead-in” and “lead-out” or “C2” for the life of me.

Then it occurred to me that we could in fact be reading different help documents. I have both R11.5 and R12 installed. The help documents got switched so I was consulting the R11.5 help documents when I thought I was consulting the R12 help documents. This occurred because the help documents go into the folder C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Help\ which doesn’t depend on the folder into which the executables are installed.

May I suggest that multiple installations be made easier. It shouldn’t be necessary to hand-create shortcuts for one of the installations. And the help document problem also applies to the uninstall program, which is C:\WINDOWS\system32\SpoonUninstall.exe. So I’m not sure what happens when one executes that file. It seems that getting a clean installation of R12 might require several uninstall, install, uninstall steps.

Randy

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

A clean uninstall can normally be done by uninstalling all of the codecs and dMC and rebooting. If you want to make sure everything is removed, see here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828

Comment

Working...

]]>