title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advanced MetaData Handling / Tagging Tool

Re: Advanced MetaData Handling / Tagging Tool

This looks like the tool that anybody who has done large collections is looking for. If it is tied into the suggested Batch Ripper then it could be very good.

Just a few things I think I should mention:
    1. For commercial users (i.e. ripping companies) there is per disc lookup costs for metadata. Potentially looking up from 3/4 commercial services for each disc would probably make it un-viable for ripping companies.

2. I guess the GD3 PUID tags have probably been pulled directly from Music Brainz as this is part of the freely usable database (amazon cover art links cannot be used for your own purposes). So I don't want to be paying for access to a PUID lookup from GD3 when it can be looked up from MusicBrainz.

3. Artists should be checked against a set list of artist names so that it is easy to pick out the one that are incorrect. This could easily be done against MusicBrainz.

4. The manual editing of information should be collapsible to just artist names and/or album names so that it is easy to edit these main details without having to select all of the tracks within an album. This has the advantage of being able to see the difference between album names easier so errors in box sets & compilations will be easier to spot.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RipTheWorld
    6. Option to remove version tags such as [Australian Album] or [Limited Edition]. Most people don't care about these.
    Or move these to another feild

7. Feedback changes that have been made to the data sources. Some way to highlight the data as being incorrect and send back the changes that have been made as this means less effort if doing the same disc again (I am fully aware that it is doing their for them, but we have to do it anyway).
    This can be solved by keeping a local DB of metadata.

9. Active highlighting of errors in Meta Data. Have a verified list of artists and highlight any that aren't exactly the same as in the list (again I used to have this feature and it saved a load of time). I think referencing against musicbrainz for this would be good as the way they link the artists to albums etc. means that there is little room to have mistakes in the list.
    If taken to the extreme it could also include a spell checker (although this may be overkill).
    I dont think this is overkill. There are dictionaries available that can be used. I would also like to see the use of capitalization and grammar rules that would be end user editable. Ie "the" is always lowercase "t" unless it is the first word or special case of "The The"

Changes for artists that have been incorrect in the past and been updated should be changed automatically so you only have to change 'Fatboy Slim' to 'Fat Boy Slim' once.
    Agreed, why the Tagging Tool should be available as a separate tool apart from the ripper.

dBpoweramp Guru

Meta Data

Plenty have been anticipating Batch Rippers final(ish) Meta data statement:

Our providers will be:

AMG
    GD3
    Musicbrainz
    freedb

Musicbrainz & freedb have no usage restrictions.

For commercial use:

AMG access will be purchased through illustrate, initially we will charge $0.07 per CD lookup, with the possibility of this rate dropping to $0.05 once certain lookup milestones are reached.

GD3, provision for entering a username and password, users have to open their own accounts on GD3 and pay per lookup.

Non Commercial users:

AMG: existing $5 AMG licences will allow 400 lookups through AMG. Once 400 lookups are reached, to continue to use AMG a commercial per disc rate is paid (so $7 for 100 cds extra).

GD3 it is possible to open own account on gd3 and pay per cd lookup.
    Spoon, when will we see the interface for the normal CD ripper?

Administrator

It will not appear in normal cd ripper for a short while, will be tested in batch ripper.

dBpoweramp Guru

Will you be using fingerprinting in either the batch ripper or the normal ripper to confirm the right data with the right songs?

Administrator

Finger printing is no where near good enough to tag IMHO, in comparison to TOC tag detection.

dBpoweramp Guru

np. That brings the subject of TOCs back up. Hopefully FLAC and TAK will soon have TOC support. In the mean time, can we, pretty please have an option to write the RAW TOC file to a separate file (artist - album.toc?)

This may be a little simplistic for a very technical thread, much of which I don't understand...

I have, for example, 1000 jazz artists, some with over 100 albums. All are tagged with artist, album, track*, and title. What I need is to add date, composer, credits (performers with instrument played) and album notes on a track basis. Album art and lyrics would be nice.

As far as I can see only AMG has the extended data, except for lyrics. Is that wrong?

But what program will do this? Best I can find is Godfather with its bootleg plugin. But that takes one to three minutes per album - unacceptable. I don't mind doing it album by album but I can't afford to spend more than 15 seconds per album or so. Hopefully less - not counting the occasional problem album.

I have no problem with the basic tags, except in Classical. As a matter of fact, thankfully now the bulk of downloaded albums already have the basic tags. But the extended tags seem to be a real problem.

Any advice, or hope in the future?

Administrator

It is possible we will add this, this year, but have to enter into renegotiations with AMG.

Talking Re: Advanced MetaData Handling / Tagging Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is possible we will add this, this year, but have to enter into renegotiations with AMG.
    This is encouraging, thanks spoon! While you are at it, please explore their descriptive data such as mood, themes, styles, and similar artists. I'd be willing to pay much more for 'AMG Advanced Service'.

Thanks, David