title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advanced MetaData Handling / Tagging Tool

Re: Advanced MetaData Handling / Tagging Tool

track and album gain values differ depending on the format that the song is ripped to. So this may not be the best way to do it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlord
    MusicIP also offers acoustic fingerprinting....
    Yes, forgot about that. They use the same PUID (that they developed and opened) as musicbrainz.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    track and album gain values differ depending on the format that the song is ripped to. So this may not be the best way to do it.
    Hmm, I didn't realize that. I guess that negates that idea.

dBpoweramp Guru

It would be nice if future versions would allow scripting to remove or move certain text, highlight spelling mistakes and capitalization:

..."(disc 1)" in a song title should be moved to the Disc * field

..."Of The"..., ect... should be "of the" when in the middle of a song title

Administrator

You are best using Visual Basic and access dbpoweramps tags through the scripting interface, then you can do anything you like in VB.

dBpoweramp Guru

I am of course referring to >1.0 versions of the requested/suggested tool that does not even exist yet.

However, are you implying that this interface functionality could be added to the current ripper through VB and dBpoweramp scripting?

Administrator

After the files have been written.

dBpoweramp Guru

Ahh, well, that wont exactly work nearly as well.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I like your proposal Elic, I'm in support

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbPowerBOY
    I like your proposal Elic, I'm in support
    The question is how many people support it enough to pay for it? How much extra would you pay for it? Remember it would also require an active AMG subscription.

I think a tool like this would be worth:

$15+AMG as a standalone tagging tool without other dB apps and $5 upgrades

$10+AMG for each version (1.x, 2.x,...) for PowerPack with $5 upgrades for future version

$5+AMG for Reference users with $2 upgrades

This price is cheap enough that I think it would encourage alot of users and it should help spoon meat his AMG contract.

What does everyone else think of the value of a tool like this? Would you buy it? For how much? Would you recommend it to your friends? What options/features do you think its missing?

foosic also supports acoustic fingerprinting. Might be an option as well.
    Last edited by beto; 03-21-2007 at 02:28 PM.

I can only speak for myself. I would not pay for a service like this when there are free good alternatives available (foobar+freedb and autotag+foosic). If there is an inconsistency I can always correct it manually, but I have to say that in my case I ran into too few to justify a paying subscription.

dBpoweramp Guru

I guess you just are not nearly as OCD. FreeDB tags are poor and foosics are tend to be worse. But yes, foosic is also an option. As is last.fm.

Getting good quality tags on a large number of albums can be incredibly time consuming and difficult. Personally, I think its well worth paying a small price to save more valuable time. I can certainly work and earn more money in the time I would save by having a tool like this.

I'm a MusicIP user and like the MusicBrainz tagging. Not perfect but it's quite nice. I think dbPoweramp has a reasonable solution with a hierarchy of metadata providers (and I currently use the Music Brainz CDDB gateway in dbPoweramp http://musicbrainz.org/doc/CddbGateway means I have to switch manually when I want freedb). After tagging I then fingerprint with MusicIP and then I have Slimserver add the new music for playing on my squeezebox (http://www.slimdevices.com).

I think EliC's suggestion sounds quite good. I would like to hear Spoon's thoughts on where pricing is going in general although I am an old style Powerpack customer (before the MP3 licence hassles intruded) who has updated to reference. I must say I'll miss the free upgrades and wonder what the Reference update price will be.

I like the AMG tagging because of the images when it recognises my CD. Anyway, I'd love to see better MusicBrainz integration and EliCs model seams like a smarter way of doing it.

Finally, I am not a FOSS nutter and understand that Spoon isn't our code-slave so I am happy to pay something. I'd rather like a Reference Suite model with a one off charge (includes CD burning) or one off charge and small upgrade charges.

Whatever it takes. I suppose the key thing is for Mr Spoon to decide he likes an idea and wants to do it. Then he'll look at the effort and decide if it needs another charge or if he will do it as part of the next Reference or Power Pack.

Fairy
    Last edited by fairyliquidizer; 04-02-2007 at 04:28 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I was contacted by getdigitaldata (GD3)today and they would be able to provide the service at an even more reduced cost. This would allow for the bundling of 2 premium services at or near the price points described above. In addition, GD3 is also providing acoustic fingerprinting services, so again it could be used to offer this tool not only as a metadata handling tool for tagging CDs at the time of ripping, but could also be sold as a standalone tagger for music files, something people are frequently buying with other software solutions.