title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

freedb connection

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

freedb connection

I can't connect to Freedb - it comes up with the "...check internet connection message".
    When I press the select button in the Options window the screen comes up blank (ie no servers) and I've tried putting in different servers manually but still no good.
    I don't use Zone Alarm, I don't have a proxy connection, and I'm definitely connected to the net. I've tried all the suggestions from previous forum entries re: this problem and nothing works.
    Any other ideas?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

How do you connect to the internet? DSL, modem?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Den Beiren
      • Dec 2002

I have the same problem,.. I am on a DSL connection,.. behind a linux based firewall pc,.. Port 80 isn't blocked or forwarded. In the options page, I see the CDDB server, but I can't connect to it,..

Comment

• Den Beiren
        • Dec 2002

And I forgot something,..
        It used to work perfektly,.. and now all of a sudden it gives this error,..

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Is the Proxy server correctly set?
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Den Beiren
            • Dec 2002

I don't need a proxy,.. I work without.

By the way,.. I have the program on two different pc's, and one of the two "magically" works again,.. The other one suffers from the old problem again.

Greetz,

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Forgive me for being a little dumb, if your two PCs connect to a seperate Linux PC, how can it work without a proxy server? effectively the Linux PC is the proxy server (ie path to the internet).

What Windows version is on your two PCs?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Den Beiren
                • Dec 2002

I have several windows pc's,.. most XP and one 98SE. The linux pc is fli4l, found at www.fli4l.de
                I don't use a proxyserver, i only use the linux pc as a gateway. Maybe I am overlooking something here, but i think i don't have a proxy.
                All of a sudden the second pc works fine too,.. I didn't change anything,.. so i guess it's the freedb server that was down or something.
                I have been reading some threads regarding the same problem with other users,.. and the only thing I can think of is that the server crashes sometimes...
                Maybe there is a possibility to be able to access multiple types of servers with your program,.. If one is down, that you could change over to another one,..

Greetz, DB

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

A good idea, I should sneak 2 known good ones and try them if it fails
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Den Beiren
                    • Dec 2002

Maybe it would be good to let the "client" descide what server to use,.. a little like giving the option to choose between servers,..

Comment

• Unregistered

same problem

used to work fine; haven't used it in a while, now it won't connect to freedb. Nothing setup-wise has changed; no firewall; no proxy; etc. May have installed some Windows / IE updates recently for security, but that's about it. I can hit the freedb cgi script fine from a browser, by the way...
                      ARGH!

Comment

• Unregistered

more details

More info on this, since lots of people are having this problem. First off, what are you using to connect? Wininet.dll, etc.?

I am running Windows 2000 Pro with Service Pack 3 and all of the latest security patches for IE etc using www.windowsupdate.com. I am running IE 6.0.2800.1106.

I can ping freedb.freedb.org just fine, and if I enter "http://freedb.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi" into my browser I get a response ("500 Command syntax error: incorrect number of arguments.", which seems reasonable and indicates that the link is up and running and I can access it from my machine).

Are you sure that all of the headers, options, etc., that you are using when you connect to freedb are correct? I have had problems in the past with applications that worked with some versions of IE/Windows and broke with others (after updates to IE) due to stricter enforcement of HTTP protocol etc.

Once again, this used to work from my machine, but now it doesn't, and the only things that have changed, as far as I know, are updates to windows / IE. Also, I am connecting to the internet over a LAN and using DHCP, there are no proxy servers involved and the firewalls let traffic out to port 80 without issue.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Ok lets get to the bottom of this...

It uses WinSock2, just standard calls. A few things you can try is:

freedb server as:

au.freedb.org
                          de.freedb.org

also try:

that last one should rule out dchp.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• James

Me Too

I now have the same problem. Freedb connection worked fine last night and now it doesn't. Nothing has changed here that I know of.

Thanks

James

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

The freedb sites can be unreachable sometimes, have you tried some of the above other sites?
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>