title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Copying Metadata

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rufus
    • Mar 2007

Copying Metadata

Does anyone know how I can copy my Mp3 tags across to WMA Lossless files without copying the audio. Strange request I know but the problem is I have already a vast collection of Mp3 tracks (Classical) and I now want to make high quality recordings in WMA Lossless directly from my CD collection but not have to re-enter in all the accurate metadata.
    I want to use dBpowerAMP Music Converter to Rip the tracks of course.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Copying Metadata

Does AMG/FreeDB not give you accurate metadata?

Comment

• Rufus
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LtData
      Does AMG/FreeDB not give you accurate metadata?
      I am in charge of a Classical Music website and we already have done thousands of hours of work on perfecting the metadata on the Mp3's. As you can imagine it is not as straight forward as pop music. We cannot trust the AMG/FreeDB metadata plus not every title has been covered by them. So, we are in the situation where we want to transfer our original audio masters to WMA Lossless and then copy the Mp3 tags. I fear the only way might be to export the Mp3 tags as CSV files and then re-import using ??
      Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If you have any Visual Basic programmers, it would be possible using scripting in R12 (you can read the ID Tags and write to new files).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Rufus
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
          If you have any Visual Basic programmers, it would be possible using scripting in R12 (you can read the ID Tags and write to new files).
          No VB programmers at hand but not impossible to find and pay of course. We do have a very good ASP programmer but I don't think that is going to help here, is it?
          How open to modification and the like is R12? Any clues on the scripting would be useful.
          Thanks

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

See here for some scripting information: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/developer-scripting-dmc.htm

Comment

• Deano
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Rufus
              No VB programmers at hand but not impossible to find and pay of course. We do have a very good ASP programmer but I don't think that is going to help here, is it?
              How open to modification and the like is R12? Any clues on the scripting would be useful.
              Thanks
              If your ASP programmer codes in VBScript, it would be very useful. I'm an ASP developer myself, and regularly get recruited to write .vbs scripts for windows functions and other programmatical VBScript functionality.

I bet your ASP guy could probably understand the ins and outs of the dMC COM controls without too much of a problem.

Comment

• Rufus
                • Mar 2007

Thanks for this. We have today come up with another plan to get around this.
                We will export the Mp3 tags as a CSV file. Then using 'Mp3 Tag Asssistant Pro' import the CSV file setting the correct import string into the new WMA files.
                Although not a simple click and go process between files, at least it workable and can be done in batches.
                I will however pass on the comments regarding ASP and VB Script.
                If anyone can suggest any better ways of doing this, we would be pleased to hear about them.
                Thanks

Comment

• EliC
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Rufus
                  I am in charge of a Classical Music website and we already have done thousands of hours of work on perfecting the metadata on the Mp3's. As you can imagine it is not as straight forward as pop music. We cannot trust the AMG/FreeDB metadata plus not every title has been covered by them. So, we are in the situation where we want to transfer our original audio masters to WMA Lossless and then copy the Mp3 tags. I fear the only way might be to export the Mp3 tags as CSV files and then re-import using ??
                  Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks
                  Why not contribute this work to MusicBrainz?

Or start a classical music metadata db.

Comment

• pw0p0
                    • Apr 2013

So, now that a few years have passed, is there a plug-in that automates this?

Like a dummy plug-in [extract metadata]/[apply metadata] that performs the DSP's functionality of writing metadata to an xml file and applying metadata from an xml file to an existing file.

Comment

Working...

]]>