title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Bug Report - GetPopUpInfo.exe "hangs" on bad files; crashes Explorer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeRip
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2004

Bug Report - GetPopUpInfo.exe "hangs" on bad files; crashes Explorer

GetPopUpInfo.exe has problems with files that are not complete, which causes it to hang or fail in interesting ways.

(btw, running r12 Ref version on Vista).

I have some FLAC files that came from torrents which did not complete. Hence, the files are not valid formats.

When I mouse over them, GetPopUpInfo.exe appears in the Task Manager process list. However, nothing pops up, and that process eats 50% of CPU (I have a duo core machine).

If I move the mouse out and back over the same file, the text "Error: Program Files\Illustrate\GetPopUpInfo.exe cannot be found" appears as the popup text.

If I move the mouse to a different invalid file, another instance of GetPopUpInfo.exe appears in the process list and starts eating CPU. Same behavior occurs.

It's not difficult to get 20 instances running at a time, all of them eating CPU. Occasionally one of them will fall out of the process list - I have no idea what causes those to terminate, as the rest appear to be immortal.

Spoon, I think I reported something similar back in the r11 days (except those files had zero bytes). GetPopUpInfo.exe needs to handle invalid file formats in a more graceful way.

BTW - on these same files, choosing "Properties" and switching to the "Audio Properties" tab causes similar behavior - the tab displays "<reading files>" forever.

------------

Uhh, update here. Eventually the tab does update to display empty fields, and switching to "Edit Tags" tab shows empty fields also.

Then, Explorer crashes:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Explorer.EXE
    Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Application Timestamp: 4549b091
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_61eb
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 000af1c9
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 61eb
    Additional Information 2: 55ecde0c2a356149d2069abdbc7b55b7
    Additional Information 3: c7d1
    Additional Information 4: d1ba67f52bb038bfda8ba9c7e628f7f5
    Last edited by JoeRip; 03-04-2007, 02:52 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Bug Report - GetPopUpInfo.exe &quot;hangs&quot; on bad files; crashes Explorer

You could perhaps send one of these files (smallest please) and will look into it:

Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>