title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DirectShow Decoder (rm, ac3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

DirectShow Decoder (rm, ac3)

First release for R12:

<released>

222KB

DirectShow is used by Windows Media Player, filters are installed allowing Media Player to decode audio files it would not normally be able to decode.

==============

See the Real Audio and AC3 page in Codec Central, install the correct filters first before installing this dBpoweramp codec.
    Last edited by Spoon; 09-08-2007, 09:08 PM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: DirectShow Decoder (audible, rm, ac3)

I am interested to hear if the autodetection of directshow filter extensions (ie .rm) does not work for any filters.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• JohnSparks
      • Sep 2005

OK I installed the directshow filter and ran the config program.

I need it for converting Audible files (.aa)

I ran the dbpoweramp config program after installing the directshow filter and it shows:

DirectShow Decoder
      .flac, .mka, .mkv, .oga, .ogg, .ogm, .ogv, .ra, .ram, .rm, .rmvb, .spx, .ts

but no .aa

I checked this by rightclicking on an .aa file and it doesn't show the "convert to.." option

I read the help file for the filter and it says you can manually add an extension by doing this:

If a new DirectShow filter is added, or an audio type is missing it is possible to manually add extensions, select Start >> Run (for Vista: Windows Key + R), type:

%appdata%\dbpoweramp

But when I run that I get an error message that says "Cannot open C:\documents file does not exist"

I tried to edit a directshow.txt file and put .aa in it but I have no idea where to place it. I put it in C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP and that did not work. So I tried putting it in C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\decoder and in C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\encoder (where the directshow.dll file is, but that did not work either.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Did you install the Audible Manager and follow the instructions you were instructed to read? See here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...4575#post44575

Comment

• forestguy57
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LtData
          Did you install the Audible Manager and follow the instructions you were instructed to read? See here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...4575#post44575
          Hello all,

I'm trying to convert Audible (.aa) files and have followed the above instructions. I cannot find any "directshow" file to add the .aa extension. Would someone be so kind as to direct me to the proper technique for acomplishing this?

Thanks

Whit

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Aha, that explains it. When you run the command Spoon mentions, "%appdata%\dbpoweramp", you are taken to the folder in your Application Data folder that has the directshow.txt file.

Comment

• JohnSparks
              • Sep 2005

Yeah, windows media player can play the .aa files just fine.

There is just no "convert to" option on the context menu when I click on .aa files for me to convert with dbpoweramp.

When I try running: "%appdata%\dbpoweramp" from the start menu

I get an error message that says "Cannot open C:\documents file does not exist"

there is no folder called "documents" on my C: drive root.

looks like %appdata% is not properly defined. Where is it supposed to be opening up?

(using windows XP sp2)

--
              PS: I was able to convert the .aa files just fine with the R11 version of dmc and the r11 version of directshow filter. I also uninstalled all previous versions and codecs related to R11 of DMC before installing R12 and the R12 directshow filter.
              Last edited by JohnSparks; 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Interesting. OK, the long way is "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\dBpoweramp" where <username> is your current username on the computer.

Edit: To clarify, %appdata% is supposed to go to "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\"
                Also, you do have a folder called "Documents and Settings" on your C:\ drive, right?
                Last edited by LtData; 03-08-2007, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Select Start >> Run and type:

cmd

then type:

%appdata%

what is shown on the screen?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• JohnSparks
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                    Select Start >> Run and type:

cmd

then type:

%appdata%

what is shown on the screen?
                    If I type %appdata% by itself it seems to work, and takes me to
                    C:\Documents and Settings\John.VIDEO\Application Data

But if I tag on \dbpoweramp at the end it wants to open C:\documents. I just tried this at work and I am getting the same thing happen. two different computers.

I think I know the problem. There IS no folder called dbpoweramp under my app data folder! If I create one, then it takes me to it fine.

Apparently installing the dbpoweramp R12 does not create an app folder.
                    bug?

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

The folder should be created by installing the DirectShow Decoder or by ripping a CD. Try looking under C:\Documents and Settings\ and see if there are any other folders that dMC could have put the file in by mistake, mabye?

Comment

• JohnSparks
                        • Sep 2005

The folder should be created by installing the DirectShow Decoder or by ripping a CD. Try looking under C:\Documents and Settings\ and see if there are any other folders that dMC could have put the file in by mistake, mabye?
                        The folder did not exist anywhere under my C:\documents and settings\

So I created the folder where it was supposed to be, put in a text file called directshow.txt and put .aa in it. Ran the dmc configuration tool.

Now everything works fine. It converts my .aa files and when I hover my mouse over them dmc pops up the tooltip to show the info on the file.

Only bugs I saw was
                        1. When I moved my mouse pointer over the file to get the tooltip, that stupid audible chapter window kept appearing.

2. When I tried to cancel a conversion halfway through, it stopped converting, but the dialog window would not go away. I kept trying to close the window and it kept asking me to cancel or continue and no matter what I did it just went back to the window. It did stop converting though. looked like it was paused. I had to kill it with the task manager.

Comment

• Demogorgo
                          • Mar 2007

I had to go to "%appdata%" and manually create a DBpoweramp dir, then make a directshow.txt file containing only ".ac3". After that, it worked.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Updated 20th May: bug fix: high frequency audio files might not be read / written with correct frequency.

Better creation of the default file

Should now handle 6 channel files (tried with AC3 decoder)
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• littleaa
                              • May 2007

Re: DirectShow Decoder (rm, ac3)

i tried version 12 and it says codec not installed. i tried 11.5 and it says codec is not installed or direct show is not installed or audio file is corrupt.

how can i do this? i have windows vista.

Comment

Working...

]]>