title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CDGrab won't

Re: CDGrab won't

Are you running as an Administrator? Do you have the latest service pack for Win2k?

Yes I'm running as Administrator and W2k Service Pack 4 with ALL windows updates on both machines

Administrator

Before the next Beta makes full release, we will install Win 2000 fresh on to a computer and try R12.3

That would be brilliant. Thank you.

Administrator

Tried on a fresh Windows 2000 Pro, no problems ripping the whole disc.

If you think about it doubtful it is a software issue, we would have to have specific code with did something different for the middle of the last track, compared with other tracks, we do not.

So if your system works and mine doesn't then there has to be something running on my second system (which is pretty bare) interfering. The only thing I could think of was InCD which has been removed from the startup sequence. There was no change in the results. I then tried stopping everything but the networking program from Startup, but again the last track would not rip with the same error as before.

Any suggestions, please?

Admittedly I am still on R12.2 as 12.3 is not released.

Administrator

If Windows Internal does not work then any version of dBpoweramp would not help, all ripping requests are passed to windows its self.

So does that mean I have a problem with Windows itself on both machines? When you tried W2000 Pro, did you get ALL Service Packs and current updates?

No reply to my last query, so I've tried again, wiping the system drive and started afresh with my W2k CD Service Pack 2, then immediately installing dbpowerAMP to latest available version (R12.2) :-

Machine details are
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2 Build 2195
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JOY
    System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
    System Model VT82C692BX
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~1100 Mhz
    BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Windows Directory C:\WINNT
    System Directory C:\WINNT\System32
    Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
    Locale United Kingdom
    User Name JOY\Joy1
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 523,760 KB
    Available Physical Memory 430,332 KB
    Total Virtual Memory 1,802,636 KB
    Available Virtual Memory 1,646,056 KB
    Page File Space 1,278,876 KB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

CD Drive
    Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded True
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name ASUS DRW-1814BL
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMASUS_DRW-1814BL_________________________1.10____\5&23298F83 &0&0.0.0

To prove it is working I tried to rip the last track and after 99% of Pass 1

Error
    Error ripping to mp3 (Lame), 'Track 9' to 'O:\Music\Steeleye Span\2006 - Folk Rock Pioneers in Concert\09 - All Around My Hat.mp3'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 211942 ripping 25 frames track end LBA 211968) [clRipperSecure::Rip]

And the following in information
    Information ripping to mp3 (Lame), 'Track 9' to 'O:\Music\Steeleye Span\2006 - Folk Rock Pioneers in Concert\09 - All Around My Hat.mp3'
    ** Drive is unable to read into lead out, uncheck over-read option. [clRipperSecure::Rip]
    Track 9: ERROR Ripping LBA 193508 to 211968 (4:06) in 0:23. Filename: O:\Music\Steeleye Span\2006 - Folk Rock Pioneers in Concert\09 - All Around My Hat.mp3
    ** Drive is unable to read into lead out, uncheck over-read option.
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 211942 ripping 25 frames track end LBA 211968)

Yes I'm logged on as an Administrator
    Communication is Windows Internal[For Limited Accounts]
    Read Into Lead-in or Lead-out is NOT ticked

Any other ideas?

Do you get the same problem when using "SCSI Pass-Through"

Aren't you brilliant, thank you. That works perfectly! So full of enthusiasm I've restored my system entirely to as it was and altered the Communication to "SCSI Pass-Through".

Doing the same thing again on the restored system I get the following error

Error ripping to mp3 (Lame), 'Track 9' to 'O:\Music\Steeleye Span\2006 - Folk Rock Pioneers in Concert\09 - All Around My Hat.mp3'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 193508 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 211968) [clRipperSecure::Rip]

With the following in Information

Information ripping to mp3 (Lame), 'Track 9' to 'O:\Music\Steeleye Span\2006 - Folk Rock Pioneers in Concert\09 - All Around My Hat.mp3'
    Track 9: ERROR Ripping LBA 193508 to 211968 (4:06) in 0:08. Filename: O:\Music\Steeleye Span\2006 - Folk Rock Pioneers in Concert\09 - All Around My Hat.mp3
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 193508 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 211968)

System Information is now

OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JOY
    System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
    System Model VT82C692BX
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~1097 Mhz
    BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Windows Directory C:\WINNT
    System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
    Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
    Locale United States
    User Name JOY\Joy1
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 523,760 KB
    Available Physical Memory 323,504 KB
    Total Virtual Memory 1,800,800 KB
    Available Virtual Memory 1,441,524 KB
    Page File Space 1,277,040 KB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

and Device Info is

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded False
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name ASUS DRW-1814BL SCSI CdRom Device
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID SCSI\CDROM&VEN_ASUS&PROD_DRW-1814BL&REV_1.10\1&163A1DE8&1&000

Any further suggestions or should I start again from scratch, something obviously I would prefer not to do.

Administrator

It is looking like it something hardware related, you need to try other ripping programs, many though would end ripping at that point and not tell you there is a problem (because it is near the end).

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions of which one to try. I've tried EAC but it didn't work (is this significant?) and being fairly thick as to the fine workings/settings I just ignored it. I used to have a naughty version (8 or 9 or 10 possibly) of dbpowerAMP and decided to go genuine and pay up for the latest version as I thought it was a good program and worth the money. Currently wondering if I did the right thing as I have had nothing but trouble ever since. Looks like I'd better start from scratch again. This I can do on one machine but virtually impossible on the other. I know nothing is impossible.

My apologies for recommending SPT again when you had that set initially.

You said EAC does not work either? If it is not working and dMC isn't working, then it sounds like it is something hardware related.

Yahoo!!!!

Sussed it

My mother board on the second machine is an Abit and it came with its installation CD containing Drivers, some of which are for the Via Technology chip set which is also on my Main machine. After countless reformats and re-installations this weekend, I found that if I did not add and start the Ultra DMA drivers, dbpowerAMP CDGrab works, albeit a bit slower. The Communication now has to be "SCSI Pass-Through". So over to you Spoon is this a coding fault or a hardware fault? Ultra DMA really speeds up both these old systems and the really old one will have to have it put back on to make it useable.