title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: how can i make my mp3 player play m4a files?

how can i make my mp3 player play m4a files?

hi, i have an mp3 player with 40 gig's of music on it, but more than half of these songs are m4a, and so my RCA lyra jukebox can't play those files as it only plays mp3 and wma.

is it possible to hack my jukebox to make it play m4a songs?
    right now when i turn on the player and go to settings >> firmware info it says it has mp3.exe and i was wondering can't i just drop a m4a.exe in there? or is this fairly complex to do?

otherwise what can i do? it's not like i can convert ~25gb of music from m4a to mp3 is it? esp as my computer only has a 20gb harddrive

edit: basically i just want to know why it can only play mp3, mp3pro, and wma files.. why didnt they include support for a wider range of file types? and how can i increase its capability of playing other file types

Re: how can i make my mp3 player play m4a files?

No, there is a hardware decoder chip on your Lycra that decodes the files as you play them. You cannot add support for file types that they do not support.

You will have to, in groups, convert your m4a files to mp3 or, what I would do, to wma.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

is there any software that can go through folders and subfolders and converte and REPLACE mp4 files to mp3 files?

i have about 1000 folders containing subfolders full of mp3 and m4a files... :P

right now i have "super" which can converte m4a to mp3, but that would take me about a month to do..

edit: why do you choose WMA over mp3? i might converte to wma if that is better or easier in bulk

WMA at the same bitrate as mp3 normally has a better sound quality overall.
    If you can see the files on the player in Windows Explorer, you can use dMC via the "Batch Converter" and convert the files one at a time to WMA and use the "Delete Source File" DSP effect (with PowerPack or above only) to delete your original m4a files one at a time.

ok thanks ldata, i just made a suggestion http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=12073

because it would be cool if you didn't have to do this ONE AT A TIME as that will take me weeks and weeks :P

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I meant dMC is converting them one at a time, not that you have to tell dMc to do this. dMC itself works on one folder at a time, Batch Converter works on directories.

very cool.... you really should advertise this feature more i bet you would get alot more people comming here!!! i will definitely buy the full version when this expires if it isn't too expensive!

i wouldn't have known about delete source file unless you had told me... i went and downloaded the DSP beta patch
    which worked perfectly thanks

problem..

it doesnt work for m4a files? :'(

it worked perfectly for all my wav files.. but ..

i went to my folders containing all my m4a files and it said there are no files in there.. when there clearly are..

are you guys planning to support m4a -->> mp3 conversion in the future?

thanks for your help so far - creative

Did you install the m4a encoder? Its currently in the beta section of this forum.

Moved to General forum, as its not directly related to dMC but still involves it.

ok i installed the m4a encoder and now it converts to mp3, but it doesn't delete the m3a (source file) after :/

it deleted the source file when i tried it with wav files.. weird...

edit: is there anyway i can delete all the m4a source files as i convert them to mp3? the dsp delete source file isn't working
    Last edited by creative; 02-12-2007 at 02:16 AM.

Administrator

Perhaps related:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=12047

The codec needs another update.

The m4a codec has been updated, download the new version here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...5&page=1&pp=15