title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4a Codec Beta (AAC and Apple Lossless)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: m4a Codec Beta (AAC and Apple Lossless)

When it freezes, is the CPU using 100%?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Deano
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2006

No, it's sitting idle. Another thing I have noticed is that 2 "MusicConverter" processes are running (but neither does anything). Could this be to do with the issue, or just the fact I have a duel core processor?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If converting 1 file there should be 1x Music Converter
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• pe3046
          • Apr 2007

I have about 1tb of flac files and wish to convert them to apple lossless. I ran through them and they convert and play fine on the local machine. When I play them on another machine via the shared function in iTunes they will not play. Any ideas? I know a similiar issue existed for the mac only program called MAX which they resolved with their latest release.

thanks
          Patrick

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The mp4 Optimize utilily codec can put a hint track at the start which is required for streaming.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

I believe the mp4 Optimize utility codec also re-orders some of the meta-data so that iTunes can stream it. I remember this being mentioned at some point, but I am unsure of exactly where it was.

Comment

• theseus
                • Apr 2005

Is there a way for me to quickly change the extension m4b to m4a? It doesn't seem to recognize m4b files until I change them to m4a...

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

The easiest way is to show extensions in windows and simply rename the file and change the extension: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5361

Comment

• EAron
                    • Apr 2007

I have a "slight" problem with dMC12. I have a lot of (~5000) ape, flac and wav files, which I tried to convert to m4a with Batch Converter (XPS2, dMC12, newest FLAC/APE/M4A codecs). After a thousand or so, dMC12 started to produce little windows stating there was a "Core Converter Crash". It also appeared in the error list. Unfortunately, I made the conversion with deleting the old files, which was done for certain files, but not for others.

Also, converted files could not be read or played by WinAmp at all, and iTunes will load them including the _complete path_ and filename as title of the song, but omitting any non-standard characters (such as éáűúőóüüöí). My guess is that there is a serious codepage-handling issue with this codec (the filenames appear fine in Explorer, but while the original .flac, .ape and .wav files are readable and playable without problems, the .m4a files are not). This connects to the previous issue somehow, because for most of the (orig) files that were not deleted after conversion, the converted .m4a counterpart has this filename/non-playability issue. Almost all those files where the original was deleted the m4a is playable. However, where it is not or has titleing problems, there is a non-standard character in the path.

My Windows is Hungarian (HU - hun). Codepage problems in filename handling were present in previous versions of Windows (even between different versions such as 98 and 2K) and different filesystems (FAT/NTFS - CDFS), so I presume this is only a version of the same. The problem is rather disturbing, because at the moment it just completely screwed up my collection (I have to manually check some 250 CDs worth of stuff, lost tags, not playable files etc.).

I strongly suggest a warning note that the codec may cause such problems on non-English Windows. Most of the people who buy this software do so because they have a lot of files to convert, and those who use lossless formats are probably even more keen to keep things tidy. I - for one thing - will definitely not use dMC again on my collection for batch conversions. Regrabbing hundreds of CDs takes days - or rather weeks if you also eat, sleep or, not to mention, work during the time - is not acceptable...

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

First, try the dMC r12.1 bug-fix update here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=12538

Regarding iTunes, try installing the m4a utility codecs and running the "m4a optimize" on your files. Also, make sure the "Create RTP Hint" is checked on the m4a codec window.

dMC r12 is fully Unicode compatible. I believe the tags are also Unicode-compatible, but I may be mistaken. Alternatively, the problem may lie with the Nero .exe encoder itself.

Also, the "Delete Source Files" is very risky to use, for the reasons you mentioned.

Comment

• volvoguy
                        • Nov 2004

Hi all,

I have a question that I'm surprised the other performance-squeezing folks out there haven't asked (or at least I haven't found yet browsing the forum).

In the ZIP file we get from Nero, there's one encoder labeled "neroAacEnc_SSE2.exe". At first I was thinking this was a build that took advantage of SSE2, but considering most computers these days support that and newer, perhaps it's a build for machines that DON'T support SSE2. Any comments?

Either way, I'd think things would be more efficient if using the proper build for your processor.

Just curious...

Aaron

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

You can simply rename the _SSE2 encoder and take out the _SSE2 part and dMC will use that encoder.

As for whether it is the encoder with or without SSE, I believe it is the one with SSE2. While all Intel machines since about 2000 and all AMD machines since about 2-3 years ago support it, there are still machines that do not support it. Therefore, it is better to play it safe and assume people do not have it.

Comment

• shpshftr
                            • Apr 2007

dBpoweramp-Codec-aac-encoder.exe and dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a.exe Crash when I try to install them? I get "windows has encountered a problem and needs to close" bla bla bla bla. AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: cryptnet.dll
                            ModVer: 5.131.2600.2180 Offset: 00007103

I just installed dBpoweramp Reference. The previous version worked great...do I need a refund? This is frigging annoying!

Comment

• shpshftr
                              • Apr 2007

I just uninstalled it....let me know if you find anything...
                              Last edited by shpshftr; 04-16-2007, 09:00 AM. Reason: because I'm confused because this site is very HARD TO UNDERSTAND!

Comment

• LtData
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • May 2004

You might have downloaded a bad copy. Are you running as Administrator?

Comment

Working...

]]>