title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Concerns about Release 12 Licensing and Features

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amfriedman
    • Jan 2007

Re: Concerns about Release 12 Licensing and Features

I am a relatively new user who recently upgraded to the reference version. I have been reading this thread and I respectfully differ with the opinions expressed here. Your product is more than worth the very modest upgrade cost, particularly in light of all of the extremely useful new features. I would much rather pay a nominal cost for an upgrade if it means that you continue improving, developing and expanding the program and continue to provide the great support that you do.

Just my $.02.
    Alan

Comment

• DudeBoyz
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Oct 2006

I still feel that at the VERY least you should include Free Lifetime Upgrades for your Reference version.

You are asking them to pay substantially more for the product, which is fine.

However, what possible incentive is anyone owning the standard edition going to have to upgrade if they LOSE the right to Free Lifetime Upgrades??

I wonder how many people would want to go ahead and pay $12 to upgrade from the Standard to the Reference version, but will decide not to because they will no longer be entitled to Free Lifetime Upgrades?

The thing is, all of your current customers started out knowing that they would get Free Lifetime Upgrades - and so we expect that. Why would we want to pay you extra to take that feature away from us?

If you went ahead and said that all purchasers of the Reference Edition would receive Free Lifetime Upgrades, including those who pay the $12 extra, I think a lot of us would go ahead and do it, even if we may be a bit bothered by paying another fee. Because it helps YOU out and also keeps us happy regarding future upgrades.

Can you not see the quandry here?
      Last edited by DudeBoyz; 02-03-2007, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

The quandry that I see here is that you except Reference to have free lifetime upgrades, like the existing products, when it is a brand-new product and doesn't have to have that. Spoon already said that there will be a minimal cost to go from r12 to r13. The extra costs helps to pay for the effort necessary to implement the advanced features that are in Reference.
        Last edited by LtData; 02-03-2007, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• DudeBoyz
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2006

What incentive is there to upgrade to Reference if you LOSE your Free Lifetime Upgrade privilege?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Multi-core support, c2 error pointer support, ultra secure ripping, command-line encoding and scripting.

Comment

• DudeBoyz
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by LtData
              Multi-core support, c2 error pointer support, ultra secure ripping, command-line encoding and scripting.
              But in order to get that, you have to give up your right to a Free Lifetime Upgrade, correct?

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Yes, but remember that the Upgrade cost is not repurchasing the product again, its a lower-cost price. Do I like it? Not really, but I understand why it is this way.

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2006

Yes, but remember that the Upgrade cost is not repurchasing the product again, its a lower-cost price. Do I like it? Not really, but I understand why it is this way.
                  It just seems kinda screwed up.

I mean, even if I wanted to upgrade to get the features, I'd be giving up too much in the process.

It may actually prevent a lot of people from buying that upgrade.

It could hurt your business more than help, which is the part that just doesn't seem to make sense. Why shoot yourself in the foot like that?

Comment

• Salem874
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Deano
                    Also, for current purchasers of the Registered license... there is an upgrade fee to get Reference. I paid £6 for that privaledge and feel that it was worth the very small price.
                    Where can us registered PowerPack users find out more and take advantage of this offer?

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Its on the Registration page as the third r12 package, I believe.

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2006

Its on the Registration page as the third r12 package, I believe.
                        But if you DO upgrade to Reference for $12, you LOSE the right to free lifetime upgrades, correct?

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

No, install any later trial version over Reference and the Power Pack remains, just the reference options disappear.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                            No, install any later trial version over Reference and the Power Pack remains, just the reference options disappear.
                            This is confusing.

Currently a person owns the $14 PowerPak version 11.5.

They pay $12 to move up to the Reference version 12.

They have now transferred their license FROM the PowerPak version to the Reference version, correct?

They don't own a license to both, only the Reference version they updated to, correct?

If that is the case, then they are no longer entitled to Free Lifetime upgrades, is that correct?

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Reference contains all Power Pack options, but updates to reference are paid for (not power pack, but updating a power pack will loose reference options).

Updages for Reference versions will only be a few $. No one is forcing anyone to purchase Reference, or to upgrade later - just like Microsoft does not force everyone onto Vista.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                                Reference contains all Power Pack options, but updates to reference are paid for (not power pack, but updating a power pack will loose reference options).

Updages for Reference versions will only be a few $. No one is forcing anyone to purchase Reference, or to upgrade later - just like Microsoft does not force everyone onto Vista.
                                OK, so it is a YES that if I do upgrade to Reference, I lose my Free Lifetime Upgrades, correct?

However, if I leave my existing license alone and make a full purchase of the Reference version, I will have two licenses - one with a lifetime upgrade (standard) and one which will not have a lifetime upgrade, correct?

Just so you know - it is NOT the cost that bothers me really. It is the idea of losing the Free Lifetime Upgrades.

If you included Free Lifetime Upgrades with the Reference version, I would have no trouble upgrading at all.

Comment

Working...

]]>