title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R12 requests / suggestions

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: R12 requests / suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by bhoar
    That's incorrect. Tracktype was previously known as the "freedb2" project. From what I read, tracktype and MusicBrainz have an arrangement to allow MusicBrainz to "fall through" to tracktype should MusicBrainz not contain metadata for a queried CD.

-brendan
    Looked into tracktype a bit more. Seems both interesting and promising. The idea presented above is in no way limited to the number of meta-data sources it could utilize. In fact, the more the better!

This one looks interesting as well: http://www.getdigitaldata.com/
    Last edited by EliC; 03-08-2007 at 05:49 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

From everything I can find on the MB web site, the service would actually be FREE. It should still encourage users to make a small donation, IMHO.

Actually, I found where it mentions that commercial users will have to pay some fee: http://metabrainz.org/about/license.html
    The live data-feed is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 license. This allows free non-commerical use of the live data-feed. Commercial users will need to contact the MetaBrainz Foundation to arrange for a commercial use license for the live data feed.

For commercial use, the data must be hosted by the company that wishes to use the data for their own products. This puts all reliability/availability issues into the hands of the commercial user, so that the user can ensure the proper availability of the data for their own customers. The MetaBrainz Foundation currently does not offer services to host the data for commercial customers

dBpoweramp Guru
    Last edited by Teknojnky; 03-09-2007 at 11:55 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

As long as you don't need to have the data kept up to date, we suspect that the Public Domain data will suffice for our users and that no commercial licenses will be necessary. However, if you need data that is constantly updated, then read on for the live data feed.
    The commercial license only applies if you need the live data feed. As long as we are willing to put up with data that is 2-4 days old, its free.

dBpoweramp Guru

The MusicIP data is not based JUST on MusicBrainz, but also on the data they have collected from scanning millions of albums. I dont know how good their data is. It would be fine to add as another source of course.

I also email GetDigitalData to investigate pricing structures.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC
    The MusicIP data is not based JUST on MusicBrainz, but also on the data they have collected from scanning millions of albums. I dont know how good their data is. It would be fine to add as another source of course.

I also email GetDigitalData to investigate pricing structures.
    Let us know what you find. I believe the typical reseller pricing for GD3 is $0.10 per successful lookup. That is, you either really really want high quality metadata and album art, or you plan on bundling the cost into what you charge others per disc for your CD ripping business.

-brendan

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bhoar
    Let us know what you find. I believe the typical reseller pricing for GD3 is $0.10 per successful lookup. That is, you either really really want high quality metadata and album art, or you plan on bundling the cost into what you charge others per disc for your CD ripping business.

-brendan
    OUCH! You can access their metadata on their site and its not THAT good. The few artists I searched for had plenty of errors.

dBpoweramp Guru

Ok, so this is really turning into an R13 wishlist but heres my next one.

Ability to save Ripping Projects and know if a CD Im about to rip is in the library

Just one more reason that a CD ripper should not be independent of a music library manager.

What I would like to be able to do is start a Ripping Project or Session. A list of all discs in that session can be saved and later used to pull a copy of just those discs to a separate folder/drive.

Also, the ripper needs to be aware if the disc is in the library already and be able to show any differences (ie number or lengths of tracsks, ect...)

Why? I often rip discs for friends/family and want to be able to transfer/transcode/ect just their albums for them as they dont want/own the other albums. This would allow me to keep one library and pull out their albums easily. Also, when ripping it would let me easily know I already have the album in the library, or if an album with the same title is in the library what the differences are (ie Nirvana - Nevermind with or without hidden track on the last track)

Is this clear? I think the idea may not be phrased correctly.

dBpoweramp Guru

As it stands:

-GetDigitalData has said they would be willing to offer an end user license for unlimited access for $5/year, with no commitment for numbers from illustrate. This includes album art @ 400x400 (as opposed to 250x250 from AMG)

* Artist Field
    * Album Field
    * Track Field
    * Album Artist
    * Genre (narrowed to approx. 32 specific genre fields)
    * Cover Art (400x400 images)
    * Year published
    * Publisher
    * Composer (classical genre)
    * Conductor (classical genre)
    * Compilation Information (Individual track artists for compilation albums)
    * UPC & ISRC if required

-MusicBrainz seems to be free, as would incorporation of their PUID generator

-Tracktype is free

-MusicDNS official support would likely not be free, but it would be easy enough to add a framework so end users could access it for free

Along with existing AMG and freeDB and my proposed metadata tool this would be VERY powerful.

Anyone have any existing services with excellent lyrics support, especially time synced?

dBpoweramp Guru

Add Checkbox for TrackGain to ReplayGain dsp. I know I was confused at first and didnt realize that dMC automatically calculated trackgain. Others are as well:

http://www.riovolution.org/post/7669

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC
    multiple passes for first or last track, even if AR is OK. Since AccurateRip drops frames at the start of the first track and end of the last track I would like the cd ripper to do the full multiple pass check on these areas that are not confirmed by accuraterip to be sure the FULL rip is really secure. Even better would be to add to versions of first and last tracks (with and without overread) to be able to confirm the full track.
    Oops, typo above. I meant add two version of first and last track to AR database. Though it would probably be easier to just add a separate entry for the dropped frames of the first and last track for, which would only be calculated for portions that can be read by that drive.

Also, as noted above an option for force ultra secure reading of frames not covered by the AR data.

The new interface doesn't have any option to "delete files after conversion" or "overwrite files after conversion". Why ? R11 did have that option. This leaves the user to manually delete the original files, for example when converting MP3s to WMAs to play them on MP3/WMA players.

Could you implement n-pass VBR encoding for WMA and not just 2-pass ? It could be very useful to reduce quantization noise and increase SNR as much as possible at very low bitrates. 2-pass already sounds pretty good on the majority of players, I wonder what 8-pass or 16-pass could sound like. Over 32-pass I doubt any difference could be noticed, if not before but an 8-pass or 16-pass encoding could increase quality a lot.

From the FAQ: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=12072

I am unsure if WMA supports more than 2-pass encoding on VBR. Do you have documentation that says this is possible?

Administrator

WMA only supports 2 pass, Microsoft made a provision for more but have never used more.

Install the DSP effects, there is a Delete Source item.