title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R12 requests / suggestions

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: R12 requests / suggestions

Will the next point release support HTOA (Hidden Track One Audio)? This is one major feature that EAC supports that R12 is missing. Its difficult to sell R12 as the most exact and secure ripper when it potentially misses whole tracks.

To create a test disc:
    http://www.daefeatures.co.uk/htoa.php

Administrator

The next . release will purely be bug fixes.

dBpoweramp Guru

Is this going to be a R13 feature then or something we can expect in the following point release. I am hesitant to do to many discs until I can rip discs in their entirety.

Administrator

It is difficult to say how much will need changing to implement this, it would be done at the same time as cue sheets, image ripping, so is no small addition.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hopefully these are changes you will push to release sooner rather then later. I realize that the plan is for images to be in R13. Also, since R13 is not supposed be a free upgrade I cant imagine that the plan is to release it soon. While image ripping is something a minority of people want/need, I think EVERYONE expects to be able to get all the songs off of their CD and this is a major oversight in R12. Hopefully this could be fixed in R12.x, laying the foundation for R13.

Administrator

R13 can enter a long beta test, and run parallel to r12.1 beta test (once r12.1 is 'finished')

dBpoweramp Guru

Ok, just as long as I dont have to wait a year for HTOA support. Its just to good of a ripper to not be able to use for something like this.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hopefully we will have the option to work with more then 1 meta-data service at a time in a future release. Below is a quick mock up of a proposed worksheet to work with multiple meta data services at once and choose the best meta-data for tags. I choose the following album because its a good example of the differences between the databases and the fact that none of them are perfect. The meta-data in the final column most closely represents the data from the album. AMG is actually very good and only differs in this case a bit for meta-data style. Though there are plenty of examples were AMG is just plain wrong.

Sorry the type is small and the picture is wide.

Meta-Data from AMG or MusicBrainz is given 2x the weight of FreeDB data since they are more carefully (but perfectly groomed). If multiple sources agree on the meta-data is is automatically moved to the final column. If sources do not agree then one of the sources must be selected or the data can be typed manually. Green next to the meta-data means the sources are in agreement. Red means there is a consensus the meta-data is wrong. Greyed out meta-data has been manually selected. If there is only one source for the meta-data it is trusted.

Hopefully we would also then be able to submit the corrected meta-data to all the sources.

Administrator

To sign up with any meta data service provider, they have high minimum annual fees, we could not afford to use a 2nd one.

dBpoweramp Guru

To bad. I don't know if MB is any more flexible as they are somewhere between commercial and OS. If some sort of plug-in architecture were available it could be designed as an end user add on and not come from illustrate.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC
    To bad. I don't know if MB is any more flexible as they are somewhere between commercial and OS. If some sort of plug-in architecture were available it could be designed as an end user add on and not come from illustrate.
    I'm pretty sure that MusicBrainz as well as Tracktype.org use a freedb-compatible lookup scheme, so should work with dbpoweramp. Combine that with an AMG subscription (esp. for those with large Classical collections) and you've got a really nice lookup scheme.

-brendan

dBpoweramp Guru

I would be very happy to pay a reasonable $3-5 annual fee fro musicbrainz official support. Its a good project. I would prefer to also have PUID support to use the tagging scheme above for both the CD ripper and a tagging tool.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bhoar
    ...MusicBrainz as well as Tracktype.org ...

-brendan
    I looked on their site and it appears that Tracktype uses MusicBrainz as is source. I would pay for CDDB as well but they would probably be much stricter in pricing and I know they do not allow other metadata sources for the same meta-data (its so nice of them to steal a public database and then assume they are perfect). Having the scheme above and adding multiple album art sources and lyrics sources could turn dBpowerAMP into the most powerful ripping AND tagging software... all part of spoons plan for world domination I suppose.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC
    I looked on their site and it appears that Tracktype uses MusicBrainz as is source.
    That's incorrect. Tracktype was previously known as the "freedb2" project. From what I read, tracktype and MusicBrainz have an arrangement to allow MusicBrainz to "fall through" to tracktype should MusicBrainz not contain metadata for a queried CD.

-brendan

dBpoweramp Guru

Im all for another source. Would be a great addition. As for MusicBrainz it would be interesting to at least investigate a per user licensing.