title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FLAC to Apple Lossless

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: FLAC to Apple Lossless

I took the same cd and I use iTunes with setting "Convert to Apple Lossless".
    I'm sure about that and I can see it also because if I look proprietes, both files says on the "ID tag": 44410 KB uncompressed

While the comp ratio is as follow:

1.5 to 1 (63%) the file 28.406 KB converted to Apple Lossles from cd using iTunes
    1.5 to 1 (64%) the file 28.679 KB converting the Flac file to the Aplle Lossless using dB converter

But I don't understand the result:

Comparing:
    "C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\4 Non Blondes - What's Up.m4a"
    "C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\01 What's Up [Edit].m4a"
    differences found: 22486396 sample(s), starting at 0.2727664 second(s), peak: 1.5723572 at 175.4030159 second(s), 1ch

Administrator

Why are you comparing a file called 'Whats up' against another one called '4 Non Blonds' they are different audio tracks.

Spoon, I believe he may well be comparing the same track but with a different naming format, the song seems to be called "What's Up".

The description he is getting back doesn't necessarily mean it requires heavy explanation, the files are different. I would originally have thought the filesize descrepancy was probably just tags, but it does not look this way from the sample analysis.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hello to everybody,

sorry but I was out, now I'm just come back.

The 2 files have different name just because the "28.679 KB" file was ripped without any internet connection, so I wrote the name letter by letter using the keyboard.

Any way if you tell me how to post (or email) these files, I will be very glad and you can check if what I say is correct.

Administrator

We cannot accept such large files in the email.

If you install dBpoweramp Reference it has a [calculate crc] utility codec, select both file (original flac and encoded alac and right click >> convert to >> [calculate crc])

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

ok Spoon, I follow your instruction and I compare the old Flac file with the same Flac File converted in Apple Lossless and appear a Notes page with this text:

CRC32 Filename

DAA4B57B C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\4 Non Blondes - What's Up.flac
    DAA4B57B C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\4 Non Blondes - What's Up.m4a

Than I made another thing, but I don't know if this has sense, I made the same instruction but I compared the 2 Apple lossless files and this is what appear in the Notes page:

CRC32 Filename

6FC5F8DA C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\01 What's Up [Edit].m4a
    DAA4B57B C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\4 Non Blondes - What's Up.m4a

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

any news for me ? :blush:

Administrator

You list 3 files, under each one write the name of the program used to create the file please.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

ok, under each one I wrote the name of the program.

ok Spoon, I follow your instruction and I compare the old Flac file with the same Flac File converted in Apple Lossless and appear a Notes page with this text:

CRC32 Filename

DAA4B57B C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\4 Non Blondes - What's Up.flac (from cd to flac using DBpower Converter)DAA4B57B C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\4 Non Blondes - What's Up.m4a (from flac to Apple Lossless using DBpower Converter)

Than I made another thing, but I don't know if this has sense, I made the same instruction but I compared the 2 Apple lossless files and this is what appear in the Notes page:

CRC32 Filename

6FC5F8DA C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\01 What's Up [Edit].m4a (from cd to Apple Lossless using Itunes)
    DAA4B57B C:\Giorgio\priv\Flac\4 Non Blondes - What's Up.m4a (from cd to flac using DBpower Converter and then from flac to Apple Lossless using DBpower Converter)

Administrator

iTunes does not offset correct the CD drive, it is not possible to compare rips unless the correct offset is used.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Any way, I tried with several other tracks, and always I have difference comparing Apple Lossless from Itunes and Apple Lossless from dbpoweramp (cd/flac/Apple Lossless), but the most important thing is the final quality and I think I have a good hear and for me there is no difference at all.

Many thank for the help to all of you !!!!