title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Aux Input in Vista

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baron
    • Dec 2006

Aux Input in Vista

Does the "recorder", as well as other parts of the program, work with Vista's new audio scheme?

Do I read correctly that this AUX INPUT is included in the $14 dMC package?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Aux Input in Vista

dMC Auxiliary Input is already included in the basic (free) package.

The paid registration is for the PowerPack functions and the license to use the mp3 encoding codec.

No idea if any of this works in Vista. You can download it and see for yourself. You will a free 30-day trial of the PowerPack and mp3 encoding codec license with that.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Microsoft was kind enough to test it for me they said it works except the button on the options page which selects the sound card input, as that is different on Vista.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
        Microsoft was kind enough to test it for me they said it works except the button on the options page which selects the sound card input, as that is different on Vista.
        That's not terribly important since you can always fix the volume control from outside this prorgram, going directly to the volume controls button, wherever that might be and however that might work.

Would be good though if you could sniff the OS version and do some magic there too

Comment

• baron
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ChristinaS
          dMC Auxiliary Input is already included in the basic (free) package.

The paid registration is for the PowerPack functions and the license to use the mp3 encoding codec.

No idea if any of this works in Vista. You can download it and see for yourself. You will a free 30-day trial of the PowerPack and mp3 encoding codec license with that.
          Thanks. The home page did not make it clear to me that the basic package is free. I rejected the 30-day trial, then opened AUX INPUT in Vista and prepared to record (to WAV) a tune being played in WMPlayer...

First I looked at the record meter. With DEFAULT as the input source, no audio was shown. Same for ANALOG choice in the options configuration panel. An Audigy 4 card is installed.

Pressing the RECORD button immediately echoed "conversion completed (in 0 seconds)." My intent was to see audio on the meter, to press RECORD and then press PLAY on WMP. At the end of the tune, I would STOP the recorder.

I am missing something here. Or perhaps this feature is not functional under Vista's new audio scheme, even though Spoon reports that MS tested it successfully. RC2 here, but I doubt that handling has changed in the RTM version. And yes, pressing SELECT in the options panel does nothing.
          Last edited by baron; 12-30-2006, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

See below for tips on Aux Input.

Comment

• baron
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by LtData
              See below for tips on Aux Input.
              Thanks for the pointer. I had read those tips, but a revisit revealed that "What
              You Hear" was not enabled. That done, audio is now shown on the test meter.

However, pressing RECORD continues to immediately echo "conversion completed (in 0 seconds)."
              There is no indication that an output file of any size was created.

I do not spot settings within db AUX INPUT that might affect this, and suspect that Vista itself may be causing the behavior...
              Last edited by baron; 12-31-2006, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

What format are you converting to? Try just WAV with normal (16-bits, 2-channel stereo, 44100Hz) settings. Are you applying DSP effects?

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Turn off any auto start / auto end options.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• baron
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                    Turn off any auto start / auto end options.
                    They are both off. Tested ON for auto-start. Same behavior.

I saw no "DSP effect" settings choice, so AFAIK none is applied.

WAV is the OUTPUT format, and the default rate settings are in effect.

Just to be clear, I am not attempting to convert, but simply to record the tune that is playing in WMP. Best for '07!

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Never mind, since you denied the PowerPack 30-day trial, you cannot apply DSP effects.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

You must be missing the sound recorder module that normally comes with Windows.

Don't know where it might be in Vista, but in XP you go to Start > Programs > Accessiries > Entertainment > Sound Recorder . You can test if it works there.

Or you are still not using Aux Input properly.

One click on the red dot starts the recording, another click stops it.

Comment

• baron
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                          You must be missing the sound recorder module that normally comes with Windows.

Don't know where it might be in Vista, but in XP you go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound Recorder . You can test if it works there.

Or you are still not using Aux Input properly.

One click on the red dot starts the recording, another click stops it.
                          Sound Recorder - under START|PROGRAMS|ACCESSORIES in Vista Ultimate RC2 - works just as I would expect AUX INPUT to - but with output in WMA format (the only choice). In some other versions of Vista, WAV is used.

I spot no other configuration options in AUX INPUT that seem to relate to this puzzlement...but thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...

]]>