title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Three audio-based requests

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Agrajag
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2005

Three audio-based requests

These days I find I'm doing more with MS products than I previously thought I might. dbpowerAMP could help me in two main areas:

1. It could work with Windows in the way other media players do to provide information to the OS that can be used in other areas of my computer. For example, Media Player, along with several other players, but not DAP, passes all their currently playing information and I have several tools that pick up on that. My keyboard, for example, is a Logitech G15 and has an LCD display that shows me all the current information about the audio (and video) I'm playing and lets me control volume, etc. DAP doesn't allow any of that.

2. More complicated but it could be a really slick feature if it can be done: I stream music to a couple of devices. Based on feedback here, I switched my entire ~2000 song music collection over to APE format. It works fine with dbpowerAMP but not so great with almost anything else. By making the change I now am pretty limited in the players I can use. Also, none of the streaming hardware I have supports APE format.

That got me to thinking. What if there was a way "virtualize" whatever format anyone's players required? Tap into the requests. Provide a virtualized library. Every song is in any format I dictate. A program asks for a ID tag in WMA but my songs are in APE? Fine, give them the data they need in the way they expect it but leave the original file alone. The streamer wants to play the song? Fine, virtualize it and send it along to them, on the fly, in the format of necessity. It needs MP3? Send it MP3.

Would something like this be even remotely possible? The alternatives are not great. Create several duplicates of all my songs and keep them all in sync, or, dump dbpowerAMP for all but conversion duties and go back to more common formats that dbpowerAMP has had issues handling in the past (like WMA Lossless).

3. Lastly, it would be a big help to have a robust tagging program. I'd be wonderful to be able to create playlists using the buckets concept. Drag and drop. Let me create as many playlist types as I want, rock, classic, work, play, upbeat, slow, dance, angry... whatever. Then let me apply any combination of those to any song. The editors I see now are very restrictive. Songs often can only belong to one type or one playlist. It's pretty limiting. Many can't work with various format types.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Three audio-based requests

Once you are in Lossless, it is very simple to change to WMA Lossless or FLAC, which might be supported by your streamer.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Agrajag
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2005

Re: Three audio-based requests

What I meant was having the archive in one format but having a piece of middleware that receives requests for any other format and provides it. That way the archive can be in one solid format and left that way.

I'd like to go back to WMA9 but you talked me out of it some time back. I had all sorts of tagging problems when ripping from CD. That's why I'm using APE now.

Comment

Working...

]]>