title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

New pricing ideas for R12

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

New pricing ideas for R12

<edit pricing ideas dropped>
    Last edited by Spoon; 01-10-2007, 09:46 PM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: New pricing ideas for R12

What exactly does "dBpowerAMP Reference" entail? Is it just the multi-processor encoding/ripping, or is it many things?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Many things, from new professional orientated codecs (riff64, bwf, floating point, .w64, etc), to programmable file naming, to Ultra Secure Ripping, DirectX DSP Effects (possibly VST), techincal info on popups + columns, multiprocessor.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BobA
        • Oct 2006

Thanks for bringing this up, as I have been wondering about it.

One thing I don't understand, is having to pay multiple times for the LAME license. I'm not sure how it works, but I thought that all you need is to pay for it once? I have paid (including other apps) for the LAME license at least four times now.

Also, I just recently paid for a second license for R11.5. This was to install on a second computer (with x2 processor). I feel I should get a credit for that on R12.

However, I do want the Reference version, power pack, etc. $18 sounds fine to me. I don't really need the AMG, freedb is fine with me (possibly preferable). Is it $18 to register, then (was it $12/year?) on top of that? I'm not totally sure what that fee is for, if it is for AMG, I don't need it. But I do want multiprocessor, full info in popups and explorer columns, etc. The codecs you mention, I've never heard of.

Thank you, and whatever you should decide, I will continue to support the effort. I feel you must put a great deal of time and work into it.

Bob

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

If you have already purchased the PowerPack, you do NOT need to pay again for it.

Also, from what I can see, the $12 is in place of the $18 PowerPack fee and must be payed yearly. Multiprocessor is in dBpowerAMP Reference, as Spoon mentioned. The codecs he mentioned are normally, as Spoon said, professional-level codecs.

I think what Spoon means by "technical info on pop-ups" is maybe a more-advanced pop-up than the current one, but I could be wrong.

Remember, though, that freedB doesn't have album art while AMG does. Also, it appears to me that the $12 yearly fee is for AMG, the more advanced dBpowerAMP Reference, and access to the CD Writer and Sveta also.

Comment

• Dryden
            • Jan 2005

$12 a year seems reasonable. Are yearly subscriptions more profitable for you guys than a one time fee?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

AMG is a subscription (we have to pay per user per year), hence the subscription idea for Reference.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• JVILLAS
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2002

Hi, Spoon has any thought been given to 2 year purchase at a discount? I think a 2yr license can be appealing and still be reasonable.

Comment

• drfindley
                  • Dec 2006

I think that it's hard to go from the great tool+powerpack one-time price to a subscription model. Does this mean that in a year my reference version will no longer work? Also, as I am one who re-installs windows often, does this mean I have keep an old install file around for the one I subscribed too?

I think AMG works well on a subscription model, as it's a service, but dbconverter isn't a service as much as it is a product, and I think it should be charged as such.

Nothing has made me happier than paying one flat fee to get all the upgrades. It was one of the reasons I bought it.

Comment

• Ocram
                    • Dec 2006

Would it be possible to integrate MusicBrainz support instead of (or in addition to) AMG?

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

You still have your PowerPack, but AMG will only work for one year after you download the PowerPack. Also, realize that the $12 a year gets you many advanced features in dMC r12, including multi-processor support, Sveta, dCW, and AMG.

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

$12.00 a year to have everything? that sounds very reasonable.

will the be owned options still too?

for owned pricing i think $18.00 is still a little on the cheap side. more like $29.95 for a owned dmc/powerpack/sveta/cd writer for a life time license.

I will have a little look around to compare though and see.

but the fact you can have it all for $12.00 for a year to me means you really do need to make the difference greater than $6.00 being the only difference from lifetime license to subscription.

the reason i say thins is if you intend to make some better money from subscription services the difference needs to be greater. however if your focus is still on lifetime licenses then it ok as is.

but raise the life time license price so you would get more subscriptions. thats my theory anyway :D
                        Last edited by Spoons; 12-19-2006, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• Razgo
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

1. A1 Jummfa Mp3Recorder USD$19.95

2. AIPL Singulator 1.5 USD$24.95

3. Arial Sound Recorder 1.4.3 USD$24.95

4. Alt WAV MP3 WMA OGG Converter 5.1 USD$29.95

5. Audio Record Expert 2.0.2006.1203 USD$29.95

the list just goes on and none of them would have half of what you propose for your own it all license for USD18.00

and lets not forget you are now 6-7 years of audio programming for these products. so you are a commercial level programmer with 7 years under your belt. All i am saying is don't sell yourself short. you have undervalued what you think your programs are worth in my books.

just keep dap free :D , have promotions and run specials. all in one $18.00 own it all special for the month of "January". other wise you cant really run promotions when your product is so low to start with. and it is promotions that bring in new sales.

just my opinion :D
                          Last edited by Spoons; 12-19-2006, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

2 years has been considered.

"Nothing has made me happier than paying one flat fee to get all the upgrades"

We will still offer that for the Power Pack and mp3 license, no features have been taken away (at least I hope not, it is difficult in a complete rewrite getting same functionality), but to look at it from a business perspective, if Microsoft offered Windows 95 with upgrade for life, you wouldnt have Vista today, they wouldn't be able to finance it, same for us.

Reference is aimed at the real enthusiasts / pro usage (dbpoweramp is used in lots of radio stations, in all the big boys). The question is, charge per version, with an upgrade - the traditional way, or a subscription (which could be done 1st year purchase of power pack comes with reference and amg, if the sub expries it falls back to a power pack). Not much software is subscription, perhaps it would be a bad descion, but AMG has to be a sub as that is per year.

Musicbrainz would cost more (it is not free for commercial usage), and does not have cover art.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

You just need to change how you define "SUBSCRIPTION". you do not need make the software subscription itself. you only need to create a subscription service that has your software in it. not the other way around.

Thats why i said have a more expensive "owned" license to cater for those that don't subscribe. you can always drop the "owned" license down the track after you have statistics in on the progress over time of subscription versus owned.

So all you need to do is create a subscription service and call it something like DMC subscription and then you determine what products you get for the yearly service. that way the product itself is not tied to the subscription. and how will this work with Thompson royalties? it could work more in your favour as the product is rented and not owned? in a rented you retain the ownership of the mp3 part not the customer. but i guess the royalties are based on usage not ownership?
                              but to do that and not have an owned option might not go down too well.

BUT, owned license from version to version and then charge an upgrade fee would make sense. like dmc12 to 12.9 no upgrade charge, but dmc13 you charge an upgrade.
                              Last edited by Spoons; 12-21-2006, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>