title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

Re: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

Heya guys I can see the icon of volume control but when i click on it this error comes up

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Click printers and other hardware and then click add hardware this programme will now be closed "

What can i do ive been months and its not letting any sound play, or anything and my sound card is working and installed. what can i do?

matt4bey

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by matt4bey
    Heya guys I can see the icon of volume control but when i click on it this error comes up

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Click printers and other hardware and then click add hardware this programme will now be closed "

What can i do ive been months and its not letting any sound play, or anything and my sound card is working and installed. what can i do?

matt4bey
    How does everything look inside your control panel? Are there any devices listed under "sound" as questionable, problematic, or unknown? I had a similar problem a long time ago (different from my original post here).
    After trying just about everything else, I believe I removed my sound device from within the Control Panel/Device Manager. Windows was able to find it and reinstall it. :smile2:
    You might give this a try and let us know if it worked for you.
    Best wishes.
    -Craze

Another thing to try is opening your computer, pull out the soundcard, boot into Windows, shut down, then put the soundcard back in, preferably in a different PCI slot. If this doesn't conjure up the "new hardware detected", then remove it from the device manager and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Another thing to try is opening your computer, pull out the soundcard, boot into Windows, shut down, then put the soundcard back in, preferably in a different PCI slot. If this doesn't conjure up the "new hardware detected", then remove it from the device manager and try again.
    hey where do i find the soundcard programme

Quote Originally Posted by matt4bey
    hey where do i find the soundcard programme
    Soundcard program? You mean your drivers? They should have come on a CD with the card or check the manufacturer's website.

First try the simple fix

Windows XP

Open the Control panel

Open the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Verify the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" checkbox is checked. If this option is not available or is grayed out, skip to the next section of this document.

If you were able to check this box, click ok and close out of this window and the Control Panel.

Double-click the sound icon in the systray and verify that all the sound volumes are mid-way or higher
    bj

Hey i just got win xp and my volume control is missin i have no idea wat to do can any any ony helpp me?

Have you gone through control panel to see if it's there? In Sounds and Multimedia, in the first tab, you have the option to check to have the volume icon shown in the taskbar.

Also keep in mind that the defaults in XP are not to show a bunch of regular things in the taskbar. You'll have to go through various options to figure out where to activate the displaying of all buttons.

XP Fix
    Just go to control panel
    Open up "Sounds and Audio Devices" on the "Volume" tab check the box that says "Place volume icon in the task bar"

That's it. Should be there from now on.

Smile Re: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

Craze (or anyone else out there who likes a challenge)-
    Hope you still check this thread. I have been struggling with sound on my new used Dell computer since we got it a few weeks ago. It has never had a volume icon since we have owned it. It runs Windows ME. We have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows ME three times, so please don't suggest that. The onboard sound card didn't seem to be working, the Bios chipset is fully updated and I have tried to update again but the computer told me that it was not necessary, that it was already fully updated. So that isn't what it needs. I bought a BLEEP BLEEPITY BLEEP SB Live PCI card thinking at least I would get some sound, even if it was not the best quality. Just an el cheapo card. Popped it in. You know how the CD and drivers go, so I won't elaborate on that. Anyway, here is my dilemma.

In Device Manager, the onboard sound card is disabled, and my Sound Blaster card is recognized and listed as installed and working properly, and drivers are listed and there are no conflicts.

In Sound/Multimedia, everything is greyed out (and "show volume icon on the desktop is checked, though greyed out). Under the Devices tab, my Soundblaster card is the only card listed for audio, MIDI and mixer, and it says that it is working properly.

I have the sndvol32.exe program in my windows folder, but when I try to run it or execute it or whatever, nothing happens. There is no volume icon. When I use dxdiag, it tells me there is no audio device driver installed and no sound card installed.

I am not hallucinating, all of the things I said here are true, I am not seeing things wrong. Yes, my onboard device really is disabled, yes, my sound card really is recognized and installed, but yes, my sound is really greyed out. Ever heard of this? No one else has been able to help me so far. You sound like you have heard of some strange things, so I thought I would offer this one and see if you have any ideas. Thanks for your time and possible suggestions.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi rmholcomb,

Your symptoms are identical to those I encountered when I was forced to reformat my Win98SE, which led to post *41 of this thread. (My last ditch effort,...which worked).
    Being that everything is shaded grey in your Sound/Multimedia and you can't get to it suggests that your Audio device driver is missing as your dxdiag states. You also have no volume control icon and sndvol32.exe does nothing when you try it. Classic.
    I had installed mine several times. Windows just couldn't seem to find it. And until its found, you won't have a volume control icon.

Is your original sound on a seperate card or on the Mother board? If its on the mother board I would enable it and try to get it going first. Then maybe the other card can be installed once ME recognizes your Audio Device and driver.

I don't profess to be any help at all.:D And certainly not an expert. I started this thread when I could find no help anywhere out there but had a programmer friend who was able to solve my particular problem. And since this whole site deals with audio,... Well you get the drift.
    Review post *41, 43, and 44. Look at the attached snapshots.
    You might also try entering the Setup when you restart your computer and check your Integrated Peripherals settings to see if AC97Audio is set to (Auto). If not, set it to Auto and see if it changes anything. If not, follow post *41.
    Let us know what you find out and if you were able to get it working.
    -Craze
    Last edited by Craze; 03-22-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Hey can anyone help? I deleted outlook express by accident now my volume control will not open and the icon is missing from the taskbar can anyone help with this matter I am going crazy with no sound on my computer.
    If you have a master recovery disk use it.All your volume controls are on it :D

If you have a master recovery disk use it. I lost all my volume too.I found everything I needed on my master recovery disk

Will the fix suggested by Craze work for Windows 2000?

Don't forget to check "Windows Audio" service...

I had a similar problem with sound cards working properly and no sound. I found the solution after several clean installs. The service "Windows Audio" was disabled. The weird thing was that something disabled it even on a clean install.

Just to cover all of your bases, go to the RUN menu and type "services.msc". Scroll down to "Windows Audio" and make sure it's running and/or set to "automatic".

I thought I was familiar with every service, but somehow I'd always overlooked that one. Such a simple thing can cause no end of headaches.

-Andrew