title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

Unregistered

Re: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

I am using wins xp.
    my problem is tat, vol ctrl will not show up in the taskbar everytime i start up my windows, and i need to go to control , uncheck show this in tasbar, apply it, then check back and apply it. and my vol ctrl is back in the taskbar... this is weird rite??
    hope anyone can help me to restore back, meaning that it will show up everytime i restart my pc, and not going through all the crap!!!
    thax

Ok, I think what you're experiencing is XP's "brilliant" :thumbdown notion of only showing the currently active tasks in the taskbar, and hiding the others. I think there's an option to have everything visible at all times.

Unregistered

no no..
    not the hiding part...
    i've make volume control to visible all time..
    and it will not show up in the taskbar till i go to comtrol panel to uncheck and check!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    no no..
    not the hiding part...
    i've make volume control to visible all time..
    and it will not show up in the taskbar till i go to comtrol panel to uncheck and check!
    I'm referring to XP's feature of hiding all icons in the task bar unless they are for programs actively being used. But you may well be having another problem.

Do you perhaps have a special sound card and the volume control module is one that comes with the software for that soundcard rather than the regular Windows one?

Thumbs up Re: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

Thanks alot for that invaluable information on how to reinstall the volume control. I did this: 1. Start a command session.
    2. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive by typing

<cd drive>:

3. Navigate to the i386 folder by typing

cd i386

4. Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32

and it worked like a charm. After installing and uninstalling SP2, and reinstalling SP1 with a repair installation, it's been missing. I never would've been able to figure that one out. Thank you. Sincerely, Tom B.

Unregistered

Post 13 worked for me too, and im running Windows XP. just make sure to pay close attention to the commands to type. There is a space between the underscore and the percentage sign. That makes a big difference.

msftttechigirl

Post * 10 fixed it for me. You guys are awesome. I spent so much time trying to fix this.

cheers

Unregistered

I've seen this problem before. Its the SB Live *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*ers that messed it up. I'll bet you're all using SB Live boards. What happens is this: The volume control thinks its there, but it isn't, and its the windows SB Live drivers that do it. I find that if you go into the sound settings and click the "place volume control in system tray" button off (then apply) then on again (then apply), it miraculously appears. Basically, it *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*s up on start up, but not at run-time. I think it has to do with the extensions needed for the surround sound in the volume control - either that, or with Creative's obsession of having a full multimedia center dropdown thingy to embed your volume control into, so maybe they figured they should get rid of the redundant tray one.

Either way, despite all you know-it-alls out there, this isn't a simple "ooh, they forgot to show all tray icons" or "ooh, they forgot to click the show-volume-in-tray option". This is just something broken.

Unregistered

I have the same problem with the notshowing volume control
    I tried
    (i)1. Start a command session.
    2. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive by typing

<cd drive>:

3. Navigate to the i386 folder by typing

cd i386

4. Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32(/i)

but it just says that it cannot find the files

Casey Guest.

Wow, I found this site with google, and that was a huge help, I've been recording with my guitar and haven't been able to adjust my Voplume Control for weeks.

BTW This place is remarkably like this place...

www.guitarlodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Hey can anyone help? I deleted outlook express by accident now my volume control will not open and the icon is missing from the taskbar can anyone help with this matter I am going crazy with no sound on my computer.
    Last edited by lowira; 12-09-2004 at 06:10 PM.

I don't know if there is any relation between Outlook exp' and volume control.
    U need to try opening 'Sound and audio devices' in control panel. tick 'place volume icon in the taskbar'. hope this will do.

Unhappy Re: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

Ive Tried All The Things People Game To Help Me But They All Say To Try The Windows Xp Cd Rom But My Laptop Already Came With Xp So There Is No Cd Rom!!! Please Help!!

i need a fix for missing volume control on windows xp. i tried the one for 98 but it keeps saying files cannot be found,,can anyone help i've been at this for 4 days solid, i've tried everything...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymixit
    i need a fix for missing volume control on windows xp. i tried the one for 98 but it keeps saying files cannot be found,,can anyone help i've been at this for 4 days solid, i've tried everything...
    Hi Johnnymixit,

I'd sure like to help you and I know how frustrating it is. Two weeks downtime for me a couple of years ago when I initiated this thread.
    The only thing I know about Windows XP is from what XP users have posted throughout this thread. Several fixes are listed.
    The '98 fix may not be your buggaboo.
    Post *28 clarifies that the X and Y's are listed in your particular Audio Device folder. (A subfolder of the Volume Control).
    Did you have good values for X and Y?
    Does the prompt identify what files, or kind of files are missing?
    If it's an audio device or driver that is missing you won't have any sound until you find them, and install them. (Windows '98SE couldn't find mine).
    Post 41 outlines my extreme last ditch efforts at finding them.

Perhaps everything was fine until a recent program was added?
    Anything added that you can tell us may be beneficial in solving your problem.
    Let us know a little more. Surely someone has seen this before and can help.

Best wishes.
    -Craze