title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Fix - For Missing Volume Control

Greets squallman,

As you can see, there are a number of things that can go wrong with your volume control from studying this thread.

Post *53 points out that many users with external sound cards may have this same problem. Especially Creative's Multimedia center which wants to embed your volume control into it's program. And Sound Blaster cards. Clean installs also seem to very problematic at losing the Volume Control.

Post *75 from qwecom suggests running the services.msc option which may solve your problem. It looks similar to the AC97Audio setting in older Windows version from my post *71, and needs to be set to Auto.

Lt Data's suggestion in post *63 suggests removing your external sound card to see if Windows will detect your original audio device. Then work from there to get your external sound card going.

*If your audio device or drivers are missing (resulting in shaded options you can't select from) or have missing or corrupted files, the easiest method seems to be to uninstall the audio devcie from your Control Panel Device Manager and allow Windows to detect and reinstall it.

*You may at some point during these steps unplug your computer for 15 minutes or so and allow the memory to refresh.

I don't know how helpful Creative's or Sound Blaster's web help might be? But these both may be options to check into.

I hope this is helpful. Update us on your findings.
    Best regards.

Craze
    Last edited by Craze; 05-30-2009 at 12:49 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Since this thread was first started we have seen a lot of variations for a Missing Volume Control. It might be time to review.

My initial posting was for a Missing Volume Control that would not display correctly when it was opened.

The scenario for this is that the volume icon is parked and showing in it's normal position near the system clock. Double clicking on the icon opens up the Volume Control Mixer and it appears in the Taskbar as an open window.

The real problem here is that the Volume Control does not show up on the display. Rather it's offscreen. Resetting the" X" & "Y" coordinates from the Registry will correct this problem.
    These coordinates are found in your audio device folder which is a subfolder of the volume control.
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Applets\Volume Control\Audio Device (Whatever yours is called)].

There is a lot more information out there now than when I first started this thread in 2002 that may be found from doing an online Search using the simplest of terms of what kind of problem you are having. For example: XP volume icon missing, sndvol32 missing, audio device missing, etc.

Audio Device missing or not installed.

The rule of thumb seems to be that if your sound card has a problem it will show that from within your Control Panel\System\Device Manager. Options for selecting an audio device from other menues will be shaded not allowing you to select your Audio Device.
    Remedy:
    Uninstall your audio device from the device Manager. Reboot. And allow Windows to detect and reinstall it.
    Your Audio Device is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

sndvol32 missing or not installed

This is your Windows Volume Control Mixer. The icon will be missing.
    Your sndvol32 is located in C:\WINDOWS
    More info at the following and include sndvol32 downloads.

http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia...e-missing.html
    http://forums.techguy.org/attachment...0/sndvol32.zip

http://www.technize.com/2008/02/22/v...een-installed/
    http://technize.com/content/downloads/sndvol32.exe

XP users - Volume Control icon missing.

XP likes to hide the icon. Your best bet might be to do that online search.
    Seems I've read that upgrading to SP2 solves this. Anyone know for sure?

I hope ths helps late comers to cut to the chase.
    Best regards to all.

Craze

I read all of these posts and am still having problems fetching my missing sndvol.exe file. for my win98.

It does not show up in the drives folder , even after I checked off "show all files"; they are .sys files.
    Craze, I tried using the file from your list but it was probably an XP file which didn't work.
    I would very much appreciate any help on this.

dBpoweramp Guru

Check again. The file should be in C:\WINDOWS.

Win98 file:
    http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/115/115976.htm
    Last edited by Craze; 06-19-2009 at 10:52 AM.

I know XP/Vista has the below, but not sure if 98 does also:
    Below the "Show all Files" option, is there an option to hide protected system files? Make sure that is unchecked also.
    Last edited by LtData; 06-24-2009 at 10:20 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    I know XP/Vista has it, but not sure if 98 does.
    Lt Data, Can you clarify what "it" is?
    Are you talking about the sndvol32 file? Or something else?

Rephrased: I was referencing the option I mentioned in the below that.

Fix For Missing Volume Control

I have realtek HD audio manager.For some unknown reason the icon on the toolbar has changed. Instead of the volume control showing I get an icon that I have to right click to select volume, a nuiscence. There seems to be no way to select just a volume control to show on the toolbar?
    Any ideas please?

I had the same problem with windows XP and that fix worked for me.