title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converting mp3 to aac

Converting mp3 to aac

Hi
    I downloaded the free dbpoweramp music converter. I wanted to convert mp3 files to .aac hopefully so that I can play them on my phone. when I go to convert the files .aac is not listed as a choice. The only choices are wave, mp3 (lame) and test convert. aac is not even listed as a grayed out choice. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to purchase a different version?
    Thanks,
    Teresa

Re: Converting mp3 to aac

You need to install the aac codec from Codec Central.

Thanks - Did that now. Tried it choosing convert to nero aac and get this error message.

The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Converted Music\Carole King - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.m4a' could not be opened.
    Unable to run encoder 'C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dbPowerAmp\compression\Nero Digital Audio (AAC)\neroAacEnc.exe'

Not sure why its saying the file is .m4a - the file details say it's .mp3. Any further ideas?

Thanks much.

Did you follow the instructions in the help file and download and install the Nero encoder files?

I get the same message. I use rar to extract files and cant click on copy and paste so I tried to extract them to the right folder but still get the same error message. Any tips?

Did you click "Locate Encoder" on the codec options page and browse to the encoder .exe?

No I will be sure to try that.

I install the M4A codec (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm), and when I press LOCATE CODEC I can never find NEROAACENC.EXE. That file does not exist on my hard drive.

However I have a "Nero Digital Audio (AAC).dll" in the COMPRESSION folder and when I redirect DMC to that file it still does not work.

What am I missing here?

Looks like the codec is not installed correctly, or DMC is just not looking for the right thing.

Does the AAC encoder actually work?

You need to download the neroaacenc.exe program which is in a zip file from the link provided in the help documentation: http://www.nero.com/nerodigital/eng/...tal_Audio.html

If you install the exe file in the suggested location (help docs) you should be able to locate it instantly.

Wayne