title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

"Locate Missing Files" Function

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JahSun
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2003

"Locate Missing Files" Function

The problem in DAP that occurs when one must move one's collection to another hardrive, rename folders, or otherwise reorganize a prize and painstakingly maintained collection centers on the Locate Missing Files function under Collection in the MMC. While this feature works admirably for a few files or even a few albums, there is a quirk whereby any files that have the exact same filename (despite being different songs in seperate folders and having different sizes) will point to the first instance of that filename DAP encounters in its search.

Thus, if you use a standard filename protocol such as Tr# - Artist - Title, and have a large collection... you will find that your 6 - The Doors - Roadhouse Blues for example under "In Concert" will now point to the corresponding file in "Best of the Doors." Once both songs in the MMC point to the same track, it is impossible to force the correct association of one without skewing the other... the only solution I have found that works is to remove one file and add it again. When adding files, this quirk doesn't surface, and MMC is perfectly able to differentiate between songs with the same name that are in seperate folders. But who wants to lose all that hard earned MMC data like "times played," "date added," and especially "volume boost."

I just renamed my parent folder that contains all my music (50gb) and went into poweramp "music collection", selected "collection" and selected "highlight missing files". Sure enough none were there, so I selected "locate missing files" and selected sub-parent folders to find the music,

This thread addresses this problem without solution as well.

OKAY. While I have coped with this issue by taking care to name files more specifically. (i.e. Tr# - Album - Title at the least) There are some files that have been in my MMC for years and were poorly named as Artist - Title, or some such thing and as you can surmise with as many as 10 versions of some popular songs, this is a severe headache when trying to move the music to an external hardrive.

SO, my WISH (finally) is that in future versions of DAP, we can edit the filename LOCATION directly with the edit tag function. This is currently under the details tab, but is not editable. Furthermore, it would be nice if the locate missing files feature was a tad bit smarter, and could take file size into account. Editing the filename would even allow the changing of obsolete filenames without losing the MMC's data. That would solve the problem entirely.

Thanx Spoon. Sorry to bother you, I know you're still hard at work on DMC r12, but when DAP r3 surfaces, it would be cool if this was encorporated. What do the rest of you lot think? Or am I, DBample and Donny the only ones who've had this problem?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: "Locate Missing Files" Function

Why not use an 'arrange' before the move and set better filenames?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• JahSun
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2003

Re: "Locate Missing Files" Function

Of course that is the ideal way to go about it... if I can remember to do it before using the locate. It also implies knowing which files are apt to be a problem after being moved... which takes some previous experience, and is a bit time consuming if you're moving more than 20,000 songs.

Anyway, everything works, and it is sort of anal to obsess about losing some statistics like "times played." I kind of enjoy leaving my MMC on random, and seeing which songs top my "most played list." Getting re-added blows a song completely out of the running.... :o

Comment

Working...

]]>