title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CBR vs. VBR vs. ABR - in Lamen's Terms, Which is Best?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chapsticky
    • Sep 2005

CBR vs. VBR vs. ABR - in Lamen's Terms, Which is Best?

I've been an avid fan of 192 kbps CBR for a while now... it used to be 128 until my audiophile boyfriend started teasing me about the quality of CDs I made him. Lately I've been reading about ABR and VBR, too, and most (though not all) of what I have read says they provide better quality and file size than CBR, and they're split 50/50 over which is better, VBR or ABR. I really don't understand all the technical ways that some of these sites judge what it is "better", though.

I definitely like the idea of smaller file sizes, if ABR and VBR really are smaller. As far as quality goes, could someone please explain to me the differences in these three formats in as simple a way as possible? I can pick 96 kbps and poorer 128 kbps rips out of a line up, but anything higher is beyond me. I'm getting the feeling that I may be doing my music collection an injustice by making it all 192 CBR, but I'm not sure what other route to take. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for your time!

Edit: If I do go with VBR, what should my range be to get files that would be, on average, around the equivalent of 192 kbps CBR?
    Last edited by chapsticky; 10-21-2006, 11:32 PM.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: CBR vs. VBR vs. ABR - in Lamen's Terms, Which is Best?

See the top here for some explanation: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-aud...de-formats.htm

Comment

• chapsticky
      • Sep 2005

Thanks for the link. I understand what the fundamental differences between the 3 are, I'm just not sure which one would be best for me.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

VBR normally gives you the best quality, however there are sometimes compatibility programs with some devices. CBR is the best bet for files that will work in anything that plays mp3s.

Comment

Working...

]]>