title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Omigod... The time has come...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Omigod... The time has come...

So I was at the public library one day in San Diego and I came across some sheet music...

Variations on a Rococo Theme by Tchaikovsky!

It's like, the dream of a cellist to be able to play it... Anyway, since I'm on dialup, I've only been able to upload a low bitrate, low quality version of the primary theme (small and low quality to avoid potential copyright infringement)

I'll upload a Ogg Vorbis file of me playing it in the next 4 weeks... (It takes time to practice/master etc, plus I'm on vacation this week to Redwood, California)

Gimme some feedback on this, even the non-classical listener should be able to like Rococo.
  • Craze
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Oct 2002

Re: Omigod... The time has come...

Sounds like fun Neil. Looking forward to hearing you play. My folks started me out on piano lessons when I was a young kid. How I hated to practice while all of my friends were having fun playing outdoors. Glad my parents gave me the opportunity way back then. Some of the most enjoyable moments in life since have been when I'm playing a musical instrument. Practice does make perfect.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Looking forward to hear you play this soon, Neil :komisch9:

May I pioint out Mr Tchaikovsky has long been deceased and his works are nowin the public domain, so there's no copyright problem.

The problem may be if the performance is somehow protected from reproduction by other restrictions.

Comment

• donny
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Oct 2002

interesting stuff :D

anyway, it shouldn't be copyrighted, but sometimes the artist performing may want to have some copyright... better to be sure anyway

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Well, copyright applies to intellectual property - so that's not involved in a performance of material which is not itself protected by copyright.

Some other protection may apply to replication and distribution of recorded performances and I can't think of the proper term.

Comment

• Craze
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Oct 2002

There may be a simpler solution.
            Neil,...do you have your own webpage?
            Check this out, and then get back to practicing.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Well that does nothing to actually remove any copyright that may be placed on the piece (there isn't) or restrictions as to reproductions of the recording (there are). :D

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

Alright, I'm in Redwood right now... Don't have a cello, so I won't be practicing for a while... not until this Friday or so, but anyway, wanted to say hi in the dBpowerAMP world.

If there's any problem with copyright I'll tune it down to mono or something... hope that does something to ease up legal issues, if there are even any.

See ya guys soon!

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                  If there's any problem with copyright I'll tune it down to mono or something... hope that does something to ease up legal issues, if there are even any.

See ya guys soon!
                  About the only thing you can do is to play the audio clip backwards :D

Comment

• Craze
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Oct 2002

According to what is stated by CoffeeCup, a person is within their rights and allowed to share the listening experience of their CD's with others as long as copying or downloading is not allowed.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

LOL! They would say so, wouldn't they?

And they would also be rather wrong if any of the concerned parties were too call that to task.

The only thing that's sort of true is if it's for private consumption - e.g. at home - and only because it couldn't be enforceable anyway. Nothing public like a restaurant, or an elevator or a store's PA system. The internet is an inherently public area.

Like all laws and rules they are only as strong as the methods for enforcement.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2004

Alright, I'm coming home tomorrow from San Jose. (wah, cello skills will be rusty for a few days/possibly weeks)...

Comment

• Razgo
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

coffeecup has it sussed out. the music coffers would have come after them by now if it was wrong. if there was money involved it might be different.
                          i have to re upload that music again as the hackers deleted it.

was is it neil cant upload his music for all to hear? i dont get it?

Neil, you can sign up on my forum and upload it as an attachment. or i can upload it for you.
                          Last edited by Spoons; 08-12-2006, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Razgo
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

the juke box link now works again :D

i downloaded the file. i thought we were talking about a recording made by Neil but obviously not :D

here is a link to discussions on coffeecup jukebox copyright issues http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2044
                            Last edited by Spoons; 08-12-2006, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Craze
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Razgo
                              i thought we were talking about a recording made by Neil but obviously not :D
                              Well, we were at first. :o Glad you've extended an invitation to host Neil's song. It was in the back of my mind that you might be willing to do this. Good show, Razgo.

Comment

Working...

]]>