title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: .wma files not being converted

.wma files not being converted

Hope this is not too basic a question......I am attempting to convert what seem to be .wma files to MP3 and get the error message "To support the audio type 'Windows Media Audio' a codec must be installed - install Codec to same location as converter"
    I get directed to a website and have downloaded "dBpowerAMP-codec-wmav9.exe" and " db-wmfdist-wma9.exe" (as I have Win2K) to the dBpowerAMP folder then reebooted PC as per instructions on site.....and still get the same error message when trying to convert. Anything I'm still missing?

thank you for any assitance in advance,

George

Re: .wma files not being converted

Your picking the wrong windows codec. There are two choices: Windows Media Audio v9.1 and Windows Media Audio v9. One is greyed out, one is black. Pick the black one. The greyed-out one is called a smart codec, that when chosen prompts you to install the codec. There is a way to get rid of it, though:
    First, make sure dMC is not running in any way, shape or form. By this I mean Audio CD Input, Sveta, dCW, etc.
    Go to your dMC Install directory (by default C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP).
    Find the file called "dMCSmartInstall". It is a text file.
    Open the file in Notepad.
    Delete these three lines:
    Code:
    .wma
    Windows Media Audio
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm
    Reboot your computer and see if you still have two entries for Windows Media Audio.