title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: HELP: 24/96 DVD > LPCM raw > WAV = Static

Question HELP: 24/96 DVD > LPCM raw > WAV = Static

I'm trying to extract the audio from a number of DAD titles (Chesky and Classic Records) which are simply DVDs containing 24bit/96khz LPCM tracks ... these are not DVD-A.

Using DVDShrink (or DVDdecrypter) and vStrip, I've been able to successfully rip the LPCM tracks to my hard drive as .raw files. I've downloaded dMC and the RAW codec, made the appropriate selections when converting to WAV, but I get nothing but static/white noise in the resulting files. Playback is via Foobar which can handle 24/96 files. The "Pro. Frequency Conversion" on dMC is turned on in the configuration options.

To verify that the RAW LPCM files are correctly ripped from the DVD, I've used the program LPCM24 to convert them to WAV. These play fine and sound great. However, I would much prefer to use dMC because its interface and ease-of-use is so much better than LPCM24 ... if I can get it to work!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: HELP: 24/96 DVD > LPCM raw > WAV = Static

Quote Originally Posted by krikor
    .... made the appropriate selections when converting to WAV ...
    That's the catch. What are the appropriate selections?

Can't actually help with the raw codec, as I don't recall ever being able to make it work well - but then I also had no clue of what type of file I was actually dealing with, so it was trial and error and give up.

What are the output parameters for your resulting wav file?

I'd say try to request them as 24-bit, 96KHz until you have a properly formed wav file and then convert it to something else.

Despite the pro-frequency being enabled, some combinations don't work outright, they need to be done one step at a time, changing only one parameter at a time.

Administrator

if there is a header in the file then even 1 byte off will cause static noise, perhaps the bytes are swapped?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    if there is a header in the file then even 1 byte off will cause static noise, perhaps the bytes are swapped?

There shouldn't be a header in file since I have the "PCM Header" option deselected in vStrip when I demux the ripped DVD file. How do I know if the file actually has a header or the bytes are swapped? It think this is getting way over my head (I know just enough to get in trouble).

What's strange is that when I use the programm LPCM24 to create WAV files from the RAW LPCM files, they come out fine and play perfectly in Foobar at 24/96.

Have you tried converting the 24/96 WAVs to 16/96 WAVs and then to 16/44.1 WAVs? Does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Have you tried converting the 24/96 WAVs to 16/96 WAVs and then to 16/44.1 WAVs? Does that work?
    Nope ... white noise continues right on through all those conversions.

However ... when I convert the raw LPCM stream into a 24/96 WAV using LPCM24 and then downconvert to those other settings, everything works fine. Of course I'm starting with a WAV file that works, so it should be no problem downsampling.

Keep in mind, my goal is to use dMC for the RAW>WAV conversion without downsampling (or at a minimum, dropping to 24/48). I'd like to avoid using LPCM24 because it so cumbersome, especially considering I have about 20 or so 24/96 DADs I'd like to archive.

I too am having problems with the RAW converter. LPCM24 works perfectly but is a little complicated since it is a command line interface. Can the decoding used in LPCM24 be implemented in dbMC? The C source code is included with the download and appears to be fairly simple:

http://www.rarewares.org/files/others/lpcm24.zip

By the way ... I can't get the RAW codec to work with 16bit/48k LPCM files either. Same results with WAV files that are all static/distortion. The unfortunate thing is that LPCM24 only works with 24-bit raw files, so I'll need to find some other workaround.

Found a better solution for ripping 24/96 LPCM tracks from DVD into WAV files ... "DVD Audio Extractor"

No screwing around with VOBs, raw LPCM, etc. Just select the chapters you want, choose your output and go! Yeah its shareware with a fee after the 30-day trial, but for me the simplicity is worth it ... and besides, it works!

Administrator

I had a look at the code, the raw converter would not work as the bytes are very strange:

[L1][L2][R1][R2][L3][R3]

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    I had a look at the code, the raw converter would not work as the bytes are very strange:

[L1][L2][R1][R2][L3][R3]
    Hmm, so how is this different than what the RAW converter in dbMC is doing? Because all of the RAW files I've ever encountered (from DVDs) are converted properly by LPCM24 and not by dbMC. I guess I didn't know that there was any other way to do a RAW conversion and I don't know what I'd use the dbMC RAW converter for.

Administrator

L3 should be next to l1 and l2 it is not, the converter would need a special LPCM mode.

Where is the RAW codec?

The RAW codec has only been released for r11.5 and not updated for r12 yet. If you have r11.5, you can find this codec in Legacy Codec Central, linked to from the main Codec Central.

Thank you. I will wait for the release of the new version.