title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD ripping: Which ogg quality do you use?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ruhe
    • May 2006

CD ripping: Which ogg quality do you use?

Hi all,

I would like to rip some of my CDs to ogg files to here them on my portable player -- so the quality has not to be the best.

Can you give me some hints, which quality setting and/or further ogg encoder settings you use (in dMC)?

I would rip MP3@192kbps, ogg one step lower, so ~160kpbs (=q5).
    But some users seem to rip with q=0... so I'm a bit confused now ;-)

Thanks,
    Patrick
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD ripping: Which ogg quality do you use?

the "q" simply means quality which you will see when you choose the setting.

like for me i would suggest Q10 VBR WMA, which would come out at about 70+ Kbps, perfect for small portable when space limited.

and as you use the OGG slider you will see the Q setting change. so OGG Q4 would be 128Kbps
    Last edited by Spoons; 05-16-2006, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Dirkvl
      • Nov 2004

I agree with Razgo. Q4 (approx 128 kbps) sure is enough for good quality.
      That's my personal opinion, off course. If you have really good ears, I think maybe Q5 or Q6 is more your cup of tea. But you say MP3 at 192 (CBR ??) is ok for you ?
      In that case, ogg at Q4 will probably be ok.
      If space is very limited, Q2 or Q3 can be used as well.
      Just try it out. The SSE2 plugin (lancer build) is fastest for ripping/coding.

Comment

• Ruhe
        • May 2006

Ok, then I made it the correct way ;-)

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2005

oggenc -q --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=999
          (currently using oggenc2.83 lancer aoTuV b4.51)

all of my music is encoded with that
          sounds MUCH better than wma pro Q10 vbr, and IMHO sounds better than HE-AAC at the equavelent bitrate (~70kbps)

I've been encoding all my music like this for nearly 3 years now, I have yet to regret it.

http://www.geocities.com/gameplaya_1...to/vorbis4dmc/ :D

Comment

• Ruhe
            • May 2006

oggenc -q --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=999
            (currently using oggenc2.83 lancer aoTuV b4.51)
            -q0 as I can see in your signature ... where you use 25 instead of 999

I've been encoding all my music like this for nearly 3 years now, I have yet to regret it.
            :confused:

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Apparently he missed the 0 in his post. That or his signature is outdated. I use -q5 with none of the fancy stuff.
              Originally posted by gameplaya15143
              I think he means that he has been using these settings to encode his music and has been happy with it.

Comment

• Ruhe
                • May 2006

Now I know how this options.txt file works and build my own ;-)

gameplayas settings doesn't look bad.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2005

my sig isn't outdated, oggenc's lowpass parameter is in KHZ, audio with a 44100hz samplerate can produce a max frequency of 22050hz, so even 25khz is effectively 'off'.. and in my case, that is what I want.

LtData understood what I meant. I don't have a big hard drive, so saving space is more important to me than transparancy. I have pretty good high frequency hearing, so lowpass filters bother me if set too low for my taste, I'll take *minor* artifacts in exchange for greater audio bandwidth any day.

I think the best thing for anyone to do, is find out the maximum frequency that they can hear (I can hear a single tone up to about 21khz, just barely). Do some tests at -q 10, and adjust the lowpass down untill you notice that it's there. Then set the lowpass just above what you can hear, and find the quality setting where it starts to not sound so good to you.. then use a slightly higher quality setting than you need. Then you end up with the audio bandwidth that you can hear at the lowest bitrate before quality suffers. I know a lot of people disagree with this approach, but it certainly works for me.

@Ruhe,
                  What kind of portable? I am eager to hear how well it performs at low bitrates (even -q -2 {~32kbps}).. I wonder if it can play it.

Comment

Working...

]]>