title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beta: Length Splitter utility codec

Administrator

Beta: Length Splitter utility codec

This is a utility codec that takes an audio file and splits it into smaller files based on length (for example split an 1 hour audio track to 6x 10 minute files).

Download:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/db-LengthSplit.exe

150KB

Re: Beta: Length Splitter utility codec

Hi Spoon,
    What happened to the Joiner Util? Seems to have disapeared from the coming soon list.

Thanks.

Administrator

We will look again after r12 has been released.

The problem with the splitter utility is that you can't specify the desired output codec. So, if I want to convert one long file to N shorter WMA files, I first have to select the input file, run the splitter utility, which converts it to WAV files, then run a separate conversion step which converts the WAV files to WMA files. It would be really nice if you could specify the output settings so that the conversion could be done in one step.

ok I downloaded and installed the splitter utility. How do I access and use it?

I don't see it as a choice in the dbpoweramp converter interface.

Open the file you wish to work with with dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC). "[Length Splitter]" will appear as an option at or toward the top of the menu where you select your desired output codec (such as .mp3, .wma, or wave).

Best wishes,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo
    The problem with the splitter utility is that you can't specify the desired output codec. So, if I want to convert one long file to N shorter WMA files, I first have to select the input file, run the splitter utility, which converts it to WAV files, then run a separate conversion step which converts the WAV files to WMA files. It would be really nice if you could specify the output settings so that the conversion could be done in one step.

I agree. I thought the splitter utility would add a "split to XX minutes XX seconds" checkbox to the existing converter windows. I didn't expect to take a file and output it as multiple, (very large) wave files. When splitting a 16-hour, low bit rate audio book, the disk space requirement is huge -- more than my laptop can handle. It would be nice to split to some other format than WAVE. It would be really nice if it could split MP3 files without decompressing/re-encoding.

Still, although not as elegant as I had hoped, it at least gives me a way to split some of the long files I have. Thanks for releasing this utility.

dMC r12 will include splitting in every codec that is released for it.

our_tess

Does that mean I can split up a score and reassemble in a different sequence?
    Nice for rapsters.

can you split by silence detection---saw no option for that---

Administrator

Not currently, when dMC R12 is out we might add that.

This is a beauty of a codec- almost exactly what I've been searching for! I'm thoroughly in agreement about the output options, though. I'm VBS scripting mp3 conversions and using this tool I get thousands of hefty wavs every time! It would also be extremely cool if this codec could be adapted to produce just 30 second clips, discarding the rest of the file... rather than having to split the file, then delete the unwanted clips and keep just the first bit.

Administrator

DSP effects can already do that with the Trim, or Grabber.

Really? That would be very helpful- but can it be scripted using vbs?

Administrator

Don't think it can.