title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Asset R6 UPnP icons low resolution

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueYetiRip
    • Apr 2016

Asset R6 UPnP icons low resolution

RE: New Asset R6 for Mac OSX.

I’ve just downloaded R6 for for use on my Mac Mini. The new interface is just great - and I really like the multiple instance facility - superb for dedicated music libraries!

When viewing on a tablet (via Naim app on iPad Mini2), the main UPnP Asset icons are very pixelated (as per screen shot) and seemed to show in low res. The rest of album artwork / icons appear as correct res. Can the icon be user changed with a higher res PNG image? I’ve done this in the past in R5 with a custom icon and have tried in R6, but am completely stumped as to how to change the opening Asset icon to a crisp sharp version.

I’m familiar as to how to replace the browse tree icon images in the AssetImages folder with my own designs, and will probably do this with new PNG versions of my current JPEGs, so i’m happy to go hunting in the Asset Bin Folder etc.

I’d be really grateful if someone could please help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AuepRw4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	297248
  • simes_pep
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

Re: Asset R6 UPnP icons low resolution

From my postings in the Naim forum see http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/as...-linux-and-rpi

Where I give a link to a revised set of customized icons, in hires now in PNG for R6
    Of course the thanks are to Yetizone on the Naim forum, as a professional graphic designer for creating the original icon set.

Quote: I have also updated the customized folder icons to the PNG format that R6 uses, see

Do these work for you?

Thanks,
    Simon
    Last edited by simes_pep; 12-27-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• simes_pep
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Dec 2013

I also have some hires icons for the UPNP server itself, but I will need to go look on a backup drive, as my current one has a Raspberry PI image in it, as I run Asset on a RPi, as a dedicated server, running a very stripped down OS, pure headless embedded server with just the minimal elements to function as a UPNP server.
      Will be back to you, as I have solved this.

Simon

Comment

• simes_pep
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2013

Try the icons at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yuqgces7x...brfEs9HYa?dl=0

These are the ones for Asset on an RPi - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jid1hgx4j...A_syZgxIa?dl=0

Simon

Comment

• BlueYetiRip
          • Apr 2016

Hi Simon - thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

I'm Yetizone from the Naim forum (hope all is well)!

So as you know, I am slowly getting familiar with the process of swapping these images around.

Nice work on the Browse Tree alternative btw. Very nicely done. Also, nice idea for the custom artist image too. Like that. I may have a play with both of these ideas as I tinker with the R6 PNG icons.

As mentioned, I plan to redesign new PNG high res Browse Tree icons from the ground up, experimenting until I find a solution that works best to support the great idea of the icon customisable background colour, so this may take a little time.

This morning I have tinkered...

1. Swapped my custom R5 JPEG Browse Tree icons to reformatted PNGs and dropped them into R6 - worked like charm and have pin sharp custom browse icons (see link).

2. Swapped out the original Asset icon with my own quick variation. This new image is some 500x500 pixels in dimension, so should be pin sharp as it was when I did this in Asset R5, but no joy, the image is still blurry on all three current UPnP Instances. As before in R5, the icon file was renamed to asset-120x120.png and placed in the Asset Bin folder. This worked to a point, as the new icon is visible (see link), but for some reason OSX keeps losing / deleting the .png file name extension - and the image is still fuzzy.

I am completely stumped as to how to make this opening image sharp, and looks really poor on an tablet screen - wondering if its a quirk of R6 for Mac?

Name:	7bKhvEl.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	293800

Name:	mn4W93M.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	293799
          Last edited by BlueYetiRip; 12-27-2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• simes_pep
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2013

Well hello there. Yes fine, and although I am been experimenting with a shift to Roon, as my music manager and controller, the SQ through the UPnP Bridge product is not as good as the native UPnP server, so I return back to the Naim App to control the Playback.

I hope I am doing your previous hard work on the icons for R5, and reformatted for PNG format on R6 justice. I love them, but I use them on either a solid black background or on the Slate, which is graduated from black to dark grey, but the bottom 'Now Playing' bar stands out, so I am not using the transparent nature of the PNG formatted icons.

I will be interested in your rebuilt PNG ones though - it is just a rework of the existing icons type for the format or a complete redesign? Happy to try them out, as we did before for R5.

Yes, the custom image library is very interesting - I am up to close to a 1,000 images for the Artists, which although means that the R6 start-up, on reboot/power cycle is getting lengthy, it is worth it when you have a completely customized image set.

The server icon works great on my RPi version, and although the original one I had on R5 didn't present, I have the ones I put in Dropbox, which you had prepared as alternates, so have stuck with them.
            Unfortunately I can't help you on the Asset R6 on MacOS.

Thanks, Simon.

Comment

• BlueYetiRip
              • Apr 2016

Its a small world!

Ah, I&*8217;ve not explored Roon as yet, but I hope to at some point at seems to have a passionate following.

Glad you liked the original icons, I think they still hold up well. I&*8217;m using &*8220;Stone 2&*8221; (I think it is) on the Naim app, which is also a graduated grey to black and complements the icons well, although I like the "Uniti" style as well.

I think the R6 PNG will be redesigned in terms of how the design occupies the square format. Probably a similar main icon (although some will be re done from scratch) while exploiting the transparent make up of the PNG format - could be interesting and I will just play and see what happens.

Message Tree: Installed via the &*8220;Raw&*8221; tab in the &*8220;Browse Tree&*8221; Configuration and seems to be working well. Like that and thanks for the link.

Custom Image Library: Mmm? I&*8217;m stuck as to how to allocate / integrate the custom artist images into Asset? Not sure what to do on this, but I like the idea. Although I will have a lot of artists images to find! Can you please let me know a step by step?

Yep - the Asset UPnP server icon is a conundrum and I just can&*8217;t work out what to do. Guessing its some sort of control code in the .NIB files. Perhaps Spoon could please take a look?

Comment

• simes_pep
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by BlueYetiRip
                Its a small world!

Ah, I&*8217;ve not explored Roon as yet, but I hope to at some point at seems to have a passionate following.

Glad you liked the original icons, I think they still hold up well. I&*8217;m using &*8220;Stone 2&*8221; (I think it is) on the Naim app, which is also a graduated grey to black and complements the icons well, although I like the "Uniti" style as well.

I think the R6 PNG will be redesigned in terms of how the design occupies the square format. Probably a similar main icon (although some will be re done from scratch) while exploiting the transparent make up of the PNG format - could be interesting and I will just play and see what happens.

Message Tree: Installed via the &*8220;Raw&*8221; tab in the &*8220;Browse Tree&*8221; Configuration and seems to be working well. Like that and thanks for the link.

Custom Image Library: Mmm? I&*8217;m stuck as to how to allocate / integrate the custom artist images into Asset? Not sure what to do on this, but I like the idea. Although I will have a lot of artists images to find! Can you please let me know a step by step?

Yep - the Asset UPnP server icon is a conundrum and I just can&*8217;t work out what to do. Guessing its some sort of control code in the .NIB files. Perhaps Spoon could please take a look?
                You just save the images in PNG format, I make them square cropping them down, and resizing to a max 1500x1500, then save using the Album Artist name, which has to match precisely.
                Then when you restart Asset, it performs a check to see if there is a custom image available for each Album Artist.

Comment

• BlueYetiRip
                  • Apr 2016

Thanks Simon, but I think I'm missing something fundamentally simple and obvious!

Formatting & sizing - check.
                  "AlbumArtist" naming - check.
                  Now, where do I store / place the new artist custom photo, saved as a PNG?
                  Do I need to do anything else in "General Settings" within Configuration?

Comment

• simes_pep
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2013

Sorry, it is a folder in the .dbpoweramp directory with the Asset images, called Custom Artwork Images.
                    I will post the actual path on Friday or over the weekend on my return to Dublin, as I don&*8217;t have remote access to my RPi, just the NAS unit & I am away until tomorrow evening.
                    No other config settings required, Asset scans the folder during startup and updates its image database to use any corresponding images found.

Thanks, Simon

Comment

• PeterP
                      Super Moderator
                      • Jul 2011

Thanks for your feedback. The Asset Logo appears ugly due to an error on my side, I did not copy a new larger/tweaked logo PNG from the Windows codebase. This will be fixed for the next update.

Temporary workaround:

Mac version:
                      In Applications, right-click Asset UPnP.app, "show package contents", navigate to Contents / Resources / bin
                      Replace asset-120x120.png with the image attached to this post.

Linux versions:
                      Locate the folder with your Asset binaries, replace asset-120x120.png in it with the attached image.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• BlueYetiRip
                        • Apr 2016

Hi Peter,

Many thanks - a definite improvement!

I did the temp workaround, but the image is still blurred when the icons are set to the medium size and viewed on phone or tablet (attachment).

I have tried using my own icons at different dimension with the same workaround - up to 750 pixels square, naming the image asset-120x120.png in each case. Also at higher pixel density of 150 and 300 dpi, and yet they all show as blurred, even after restarting Asset, the computer and resetting the Naim app & image / UPnP cache?

In R5 this icon could easily be user changed in the same way to a higher res version, then displaying as ultra sharp on all control devices?

Name:	PUHkRth.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	293803

Comment

• simes_pep
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Dec 2013

As it works fine on R6 on RPi, which is odd as I would of thought that the code base for the Linux versions would be the same, just installation scripts, locations, varying by version.
                          Thanks,
                          Simon

Comment

• BlueYetiRip
                            • Apr 2016

Hi Simon,

Interesting - so no problems at all for the RPi? Mmm. I&*8217;ll have another play tomorrow all being well.

Posting up the direct path to &*8216;Custom Artwork Images&*8217; would be most welcome as after doing a quick search I could not find it in the Mac Asset contents folder!

Comment

• simes_pep
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Dec 2013

So this is the location of the folder "AssetUserUpstreamImages"

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	293811

Do you have this folder?

It could be that Asset R6 for MacOS doesn't include this feature.

Thanks,
                              Simon.

Comment

Working...

]]>