title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Might need to re-rip dad's collection, do I need any licenses for meta data sources?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottChapman
    • Dec 2007

Might need to re-rip dad's collection, do I need any licenses for meta data sources?

I am likely going to have to re-rip my dad's collection of music with latest CD Ripper, but before I get started...

Do we need to get license keys for any of the meta data sources? Or do you folks take care of that with the reference version?
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Might need to re-rip dad's collection, do I need any licenses for meta data sourc

Originally posted by ScottChapman
    I am likely going to have to re-rip my dad's collection of music with latest CD Ripper, but before I get started...

Do we need to get license keys for any of the meta data sources? Or do you folks take care of that with the reference version?
    all included with reference version.

Comment

• ScottChapman
      • Dec 2007

Re: Might need to re-rip dad's collection, do I need any licenses for meta data sourc

Quick question before I get started. My dad has a ton of "collections", tons of really odd stuff. Which I think is how I got it all wrong when I ripped the first time.

With the current ripper, I see that is can pull meta data from difference sources.

Does it do that each time you rip and let you know if the metadata for the current CD is ambiguous?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Quick question before I get started. My dad has a ton of "collections", tons of really odd stuff. Which I think is how I got it all wrong when I ripped the first time.

With the current ripper, I see that is can pull meta data from difference sources.

Does it do that each time you rip and let you know if the metadata for the current CD is ambiguous?

Thanks in advance!
        please clarify. Your post makes no sense at all. Sorry, I'm a native English speaker.

Comment

• ScottChapman
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by garym
          please clarify. Your post makes no sense at all. Sorry, I'm a native English speaker.
          Queen's English? ;-) Good news, I was able to answer my own question...

I found a CD which pulled different meta-data from AMG and freedb. PerfectMeta appears make a guess. But I assume it can get it wrong. I do see that you can review it, but it would be nice if there was some indication that there was differing meta-data found so you have know there is an opportunity to make a decision manually.

Does that make more sense?

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Queen's English? ;-) Good news, I was able to answer my own question...

I found a CD which pulled different meta-data from AMG and freedb. PerfectMeta appears make a guess. But I assume it can get it wrong. I do see that you can review it, but it would be nice if there was some indication that there was differing meta-data found so you have know there is an opportunity to make a decision manually.

Does that make more sense?
            Yes. And correct, perfectunes makes an "educated guess" based on comparing metadata from several sources (have you ticked all the sources to be used?).

Comment

• Porcus
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Feb 2007

Just a simple thing before you start wasting time: if the problem is merely the metadata, then you will most likely not have to re-rip.

Is it so that the music is just fine but has the wrong artists and all that?

And, is it organized in a way you can comprehend? Even if all the files were in the same folder with bogus names, maybe they can be nicely sorted and then moved into respective folders.

Comment

• ScottChapman
                • Dec 2007

yea, I might not have to re-rip. I will need to find the original media anyway and in the process of reviewing it I might be able to figure out how to fix it without ripping.

Comment

• Porcus
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Feb 2007

yea, I might not have to re-rip.
                  So it is only faulty metadata and organization? How much does it take for PerfectTunes to help this - anyone?

Here is a tip: foobar2000 and/or mp3tag, both with freedb, MusicBrainz and Discogs (fb2k needs additional components for the two latter, both need it for Discogs I think, and you need to register at Discogs to use either, you can set up both at the same time).

Now:
                  * if it is organized one CD per folder, and track numbers are known, then freedb lookup, or in foobar2000: MusicBrainz by TOC could sort out an unknown album; hopefully you get a unique hit (MusicBrainz is more accurate there I think).
                  * if the files are all over the place (for example if a various artists CD have gotten one folder per artist and thus possibly one per track), then there are a few ways to collect them CD by CD:
                  I) by CDDB discid, if that tag was written.
                  II) by AccurateRipDiscID if that tag was written.
                  III) by MusicBrainz ID if that tag was written
                  IV) by time of ripping if that is written to tag or at worst, if files have their original timestamps.

The latter could serve you some errors: if you use Reference and a dual-core computer, dBpoweramp could finish track 5 before track 4. That is, if you sort files by time in foobar2000 or mp3tag, you must sometimes manually interchange two files.
                  Last edited by Porcus; 01-09-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>