title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Artist tag customization - can the formatting be changed for a featured artist list?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brockway
    • Oct 2020

Artist tag customization - can the formatting be changed for a featured artist list?

I'm dealing with a lot of rap albums. The tracks include a lot of featured artists.
    Here is an example: 06 - Classified - Feeling Fine (remix) feat Jordan Croucher & Jay Bizzy

I'd like to customize the format of the mp3 artist tag written by CD Ripper to be "Artist feat. Artist2 & Artist 3". Is this possible?

Format 1: By default, dbPoweramp's CD Ripper writes the tag as: "Classified/Jordan Croucher/Jay Bizzy" (This is how it is displayed in mp3Tag, Picard, tag&rename, winamp, etc)

Format 2: dbPoweramp's CD Ripper displays the artist tag on screen as: "Classified; Jordan Croucher; Jay Bizzy" (This is how Format 1 (above) is displayed in windows)

Format 3: MusicBrainz displays it as "Classified feat. Jordan Croucher & Jay Bizzy" Source: https://musicbrainz.org/recording/db...d-a3614dab7805

I'd prefer the tag be written in Format 3 because that's how the majority of my existing library is formatted. Is it possible to configure the artist tag to be in that format with CD Ripper?

If Format 3 is not possible, then is it possible to have Format 2 written as the tag? I would prefer that as it is easier to do quick keyboard navigation to copy / paste individual artists when compared to Format 1
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Artist tag customization - can the formatting be changed for a featured artist li

Each audio format handles multiple artists differently, for mp3 the correct format is:

artist1/artist2/artist3

This allows a player program to then show the artists and search on individual artists correctly, you would not want to store internally as 'Classified feat. Jordan Croucher & Jay Bizzy' because you created a new artist 'Classified feat. Jordan Croucher & Jay Bizzy' not 'Classified' with featured 'Jordan Croucher' and 'Jay Bizzy'
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• brockway
      • Oct 2020

Re: Artist tag customization - can the formatting be changed for a featured artist li

Thank you for the reply and insight.

I had done some googling, but I wasn't able to find the correct/standard format for mp3 tags. If you were able to share where that is documented, I would very much appreciate it.

Now... to clean up my thousands of incorrectly tagged historical data.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Ask questions, find answers, and share your Sonos experience with other music lovers around the world. Join the Sonos Community.

Note id3v2.4 stores with NULLs between the multiple artists, so it depends on which tag type you use and sometimes which version.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• brockway
          • Oct 2020

Thanks for sharing that link. I'm surprised that is the standard. I've ripped a dozen or so rap albums with dbPoweramp and I keep having to edit the artist information because important details are dropped by converting from the format in MusicBrainz to the "/" standard.

For example, these are all different types of artist collaborations. These are captured in MusicBrainz, freedb, Spotify, etc, but with dbPoweramp converting to the "/" format, important information is being dropped:

ArtistA feat ArtistB, ArtistC & ArtistD --> 1 Artist is making a track and asks 3 other artists if they want to be featured on the track. (This is common on a the main artist's album)
          vs
          ArtistA & ArtistB feat ArtistC & ArtistD --> 2 artists are jointly working on a song and ask 2 other artists if they want to be featured on the track. (This is common on compilations)
          vs
          ArtistA, ArtistB, ArtistC & ArtistD --> 4 artists jointly work on the song. (This is common on compilations)

It would be amazing if dbPoweramp's CD Ripper gave the option to preserve the artist information from MusicBrainz, which captures different scenarios like the above.

I absolutely love dbPoweramp's CD Ripper. The only real draw back for me is this. So I'm now unfortunately looking at different ripping tools because having to manually look up & edit the above different scenarios slows things down.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

CD Ripper >> green options button >> cd ripper options >> metadata and id tags

uncheck 'detect multi artists from & ft & feat

However I strongly recommend you do not do this as in the long term it is the wrong way to store those tags.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dat Ei
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
              However I strongly recommend you do not do this as in the long term it is the wrong way to store those tags.
              D'accord! I second this absolutely. And I can't imagine that from a musician's point of view it makes any difference - if a musician has participated the projekt, he is a full part of the project.

So I've deleted all "feat." additions from track title and added the musician to the artists list of the track. This way it is easy to search and find the works of a artist in database based players.

Dat Ei

Comment

• brockway
                • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Spoon
                CD Ripper >> green options button >> cd ripper options >> metadata and id tags

uncheck 'detect multi artists from & ft & feat

Thank you for the input. I do respect your opinion. As mentioned before, the "/" separator drops information that I consider valuable. I've worked many release over the years w/ dozens of artists. In the rap world of mixtapes, compilations, DJ mixes and regular releases the differences do matter. So using a "/" does not feel like the right way to store it long term for me. I hope you can understand my perspective. For me, the way the lookup databases store it is the right way for me, even if it doesn't match the mp3 standard of "/". I am very open to other suggestions.

I've tried unchecking the "Detect multi artists from '&', 'ft' & 'feat'", but that doesn't capture the exact artist information from the lookup databases into the "Artist" tag. It also pollutes the Title tag with the featured artist information. So while it is a step toward what I'd like to accomplish, it's not quite what I was hoping for. Here are 2 examples:

Example 1 of Artist1 feat Artist2, Artist3, etc
                Boy-Cott-In the Industry by Classified https://musicbrainz.org/release/240f...a-90a08d4cc360
                Track 5 is Classified feat. Jay Bizzy, J-Bru, Spesh K & Mic Boyd - "Problemz".
                When retrieved by CD Ripper and ripped, I see the following:
                1. "Detect multi artist" is checked --> Artist tag is "Classified/Jay Bizzy/J-Bru/Spesh K/Mic Boyd".
                2. "Detect multi artist" is unchecked -->
                  • Artist tag is "Classified/Jay Bizzy, J-Bru, Spesh K & Mic Boyd. Expected: "Classified feat. Jay Bizzy, J-Bru, Spesh K & Mic Boyd"
                  • Title tag is "Problemz (feat. Jay Bizzy, J-Bru, Spesh K & Mic Boyd)". Expected: "Problemz".

Example 2 of Artist1 & Artist2:
                Get Up Album by Skratch Bastid: https://musicbrainz.org/release/4eed...e-5a768a03d9c2
                Track 7 is Rakim & The Roots - "Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em / Here I Come"
                When retrieved by CD Ripper and ripped, I see the following:
                1. "Detect multi artist" is checked --> Artist tag is "Rakim/The Roots".
                2. "Detect multi artist" is unchecked --> Artist tag is "Rakim/The Roots". Expected: "Rakim & The Roots"

For both the above, I don't know if it is "Rakim & The Roots" or "Rakim feat. The Roots" without manually looking it up in the lookup database.

Comment

Working...

]]>