title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Defective CD - how rip it anyway

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RadicalDad
    • Jan 2011

Defective CD - how rip it anyway

I have a CD which is defective. The CD was originally released 20 years ago as part of a museum research project, may very well be out of print, there are few of them in the USA (I just got the last one at Amazon), and I need to rip it anyway for a paper I'm writing. What is the best/fastest way to undo secure ripping and all attempts to read this thing accurately. I just want dBpoweramp to do what it can with what its got, knowing that it will be inaccurate (but good enough). Much like what a CD player will do with a CD which is marginal - just interpolate the bad frames and get on with it.

After I rip this CD, I'll return to secure rip settings.

What are the settings / unsettings I need to make?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Defective CD - how rip it anyway

Try to rip on secure mode, if it will not rip then use burst.

Most drives self interpolate these days.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RadicalDad
      • Jan 2011

I tried messing with various secure mode settings, limiting drive speed, etc. but the last 1/3 of the tracks just won't rip. The ripper craps out on all the later tracks - too many bad frames, timeout trying to rip the track, etc. CD looks fine to the naked eye, so I'm guessing there was a problem when it was manufactured. Just changing to burst mode is fast and easy. Thanks.

"Most drives self interpolate these days."

What does that mean? I know most drives will interpolate when playing red book audio. That has been true for ages. Are you saying the drive will interpolate without reporting it isn't giving a bit-perfect read when ripping?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

>Are you saying the drive will interpolate without reporting it isn't giving a bit-perfect read when ripping?

Yes

It might be worth trying different makes of CD drive, they are not all equal when it comes to reading certain discs.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>