title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

GetPopUpInfo question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • June
    • Apr 2002

GetPopUpInfo question

I'm curious, what does the "GetpopUpInfo" .exe file do ? (it's inside the C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP folder).

At times it seems to attach itself to memory so that my CPU is 100% active. I can shut it down by using the Task Manager in Windows 2000, but I can't seem to figure out what starts it running, and why it's there . Thanks
  • daren
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

Hi June,

It's for the pop-up info (soundfile properties,tags, etc..) that you
    get in Windows Explorer. It can be switched-off in the dMC
    configuration program (from the start menu). Just uncheck
    "Pop up info tips in explorer".

HTH,
    Daren.

Comment

• June
      • Apr 2002

ah Thanks ~!

Comment

• MODatic
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2002

I didn't release that it was a separate process that started when needed and then immediately closes, that controlled the pop up tooltips. Now I know

Comment

• June
          • Apr 2002

yes...I'm not sure what activates it. Usually it started running when I was burning a cdrom with Nero. The problem was that it seemed to keep the cpu quite active, which produced errors in the cd burn.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Originally I handled the popup info from a dll, but the problem was if the getpopup info crashed (duff mp3, or wma files) it would crash windows explorer, now it will just crash getpopupinfo.exe, much better.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• June
              • Apr 2002

I see ! Well thanks for explaining it. I'm happy to know it's a "dbpoweramp" program and not something that someone planted on my computer. I unchecked it in my dbpower amp preferences, and things seem to be doing well now. Thank you

Comment

• Unregistered

GetPopupInfo crashes

Thanks to that tip, I simply disabled the popup info, but a note to developers/debuggers/whomever-- whenever I moused over a .cda file, GetPopupInfo.exe would crash.

Comment

• Unregistered

It really does NOT shut down!

Originally posted by June
                  I'm curious, what does the "GetpopUpInfo" .exe file do ? (it's inside the C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP folder).

At times it seems to attach itself to memory so that my CPU is 100% active. I can shut it down by using the Task Manager in Windows 2000, but I can't seem to figure out what starts it running, and why it's there . Thanks

Yeah, I've had the same problem. My machine came to a virtual standstill, I mean stopped! The culprit was always GetPopUpInfo.exe, taking up 96-98% of my CPU. Sure it would appear to 'end process', and then re-spawn itself over and over no matter how many times you killed it. Some times it would take a little longer to re-spawn, with same results... all other apps dead... time for surgery

Comment

• Unregistered

Yes, this has happened to my machine as well. Glad I know what it is now!

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: GetPopUpInfo question

Yeah, got the same bug. Already thought it was a virus unless i searched for the always "hiding" GETPOPUPINFO.EXE in my task-manager AND finally got here. Had to reboot my machine several times yesterday-

Anyway, seems the problem only occurs to me since i installed the v10b. Hope you fix that soon

I've been using dbPowerAmp over 2y now and it became a really essential utility too me. Great WORX!

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

What type of files is it freezing on?
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Devenis

i had this happen with an incomplete mpg file i was downloading with bittorent. GetpopUpInfo.exe got stuck everytime it tried to get info from that file.

Comment

• Unregistered

Same problem which occurs when i'm trying to read incomplete .mpg file (with BT too ^^).

each try launch a instance of getpopukiller.exe @ 98% proc ...

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

You can configure dMC not to show popup info if it causes problems.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>