title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

A little help converting FLAC files, please.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snowdog
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2019

A little help converting FLAC files, please.

Hi all.

I have a 4 disc Yes bootleg that's come to me as FLAC files.

I went through the usual process of batch converting to m4a but when I started to play the album this morning (through the Foobar2000 mobile app, having synced to my phone last night)there was a gap between each track.

I just opened one of the files to look at the sound wave & there is a short gap at the end of the track, which would account for the gaps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 20.59.42.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	297439

Is this normal for FLAC files? Is there a way of converting them & removing the silence as part of a process of which I'm unaware or is the silence "baked in" to the files I have?

Thanks.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: A little help converting FLAC files, please.

Originally posted by snowdog
    Is this normal for FLAC files?
    No. If the FLAC files were ripped from a gapless source they should play gapless. And any m4a files created by converting should be gapless too. Do the FLAC files play gapless?

Comment

• snowdog
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2019

Well, FLAC files aren't native to the Mac, so it's a little tricky to find something that'll play them.

I can play them on my VLC player & no, they don't play back gapless, but I don't really trust it to handle FLAC files properly.

I'll see if xACT will run on my new OS.

Comment

• snowdog
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2019

Okay, so xACT converted the files to AIFF & they still play back with gaps in iTunes, which pretty much settles it.

Looks like it's a proper editing job over the weekend, to remove the gaps & re-make the tracks from there.

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Okay, so xACT converted the files to AIFF & they still play back with gaps in iTunes, which pretty much settles it.

Looks like it's a proper editing job over the weekend, to remove the gaps & re-make the tracks from there.
          Are you only getting gapless playback issues with the Yes bootleg discs?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

If the disc ripped not gapless, then if you play on a normal CD player, it would not be gapless either.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• snowdog
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by mville
              Are you only getting gapless playback issues with the Yes bootleg discs?
              Originally posted by Spoon
              If the disc ripped not gapless, then if you play on a normal CD player, it would not be gapless either.
              Actually, it's just this one Yes bootleg. And when I downloaded it from a separate source, it had the same silences at the beginning & ends of all the tracks. Then, when I tried to edit the tracks, in order to create a new set of tracks that would play back seamlessly, it became apparent that they didn't join up properly. I'm not quite sure why, but this isn't a simple case of silences having been added to an originally seamless source.

So, from my original question of whether or not this was a convention with FLAC files, it turns out it's just weird original source material.

Incidentally, the album in question is a 4 disc "Periphet, The Complete Inglewood Forum, 1978-10-05/06"

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

So, from my original question of whether or not this was a convention with FLAC files, it turns out it's just weird original source material.

Incidentally, the album in question is a 4 disc "Periphet, The Complete Inglewood Forum, 1978-10-05/06"
                I suspected as much, as it is a bootleg and not an official CDDA.

Comment

Working...

]]>