title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Process of Replay Gain on Mac

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hub11
    • Apr 2017

Process of Replay Gain on Mac

I need to tag my music with Replay Gain. I`m on a Mac and want to apply the effect on the iTunes Media folder. When I start the batch processing and I convert to "Replay Gain" - are the files encoded/decoded (what could make the sound quality worse)? Or does DBPA just "tag" the files like with this utility codecs that just run on Windows?
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Process of Replay Gain on Mac

As you seem aware, in terms of digital audio, the ReplayGain utility codec for Windows is non-destructive and just calculates and writes the ReplayGain tags.

I assume the utility codec available on the mac is the same, but as I do not use the mac version, I cannot be sure.

Why not copy an album in your iTunes library, to a location separate to the iTunes library and test the process yourself?

... I have just realised that you are double posting, very annoying!!
    Last edited by mville; 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM. Reason: double posting

Comment

• Hub11
      • Apr 2017

I won`t hear a difference (I think nobody would hear this difference with high-quality-files). But if there`s a quality loss, it would be a problem. I have AIFF and Apple Lossless and produce things for a radio station. And they won`t accept files with this quality loss.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

If the ReplayGain utility/DSP on the mac is destructive (Spoon will have to confirm this), then copy the AIFF and Apple Lossless to a windows PC. Then, you are able to run the ReplayGain utilty codec on the files, before submitting them to the radio station.
        Last edited by mville; 04-11-2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• blackcherry
          • Feb 2017

As a user of the macOS version, all the replaygain codec does to the file is tag the files.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

If convert to [ReplayGain] as the encoder, then the audio is not changed.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>