PDA

View Full Version : Reading Audio CD's

gahuntly
01-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I need to be able to extract metadata (album names, etc) from audio CD's.

I am hoping to use some of the (Visual C++) code provided by CDex to do this -- however I would like to learn more about some of the technical details of audio file encription and the problems involved in reading and interpreting CDA files -- with the end of understanding what I am trying to do.

I 've found gobs of info on Mp3 encription, but virtually nothing to help me understand audio file (CDA) format...

Could anybody point me to some relevant documentation and/or source code?

(Incidently, it would be nice to add this feature to DMC scripting -- something like a "GetTag" function)

LtData
01-11-2006, 11:52 PM
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide-formats.htm Scroll down to CDA.

gahuntly
01-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Let me rephrase...

I already know what an audio disk is. What I am looking for is a primer which will provide me with a detailed understanding of what happens when an audio CD is read -- and provide enough practical help for me to extract data for my own software (starting with what I called "metadata", i.e., data about the tracks).

How does one start out learning about this sort of programming?

I have searched the web for info, and searched bookstores for texts but sofar haven't found anything of use (except for the CDex source code).

I was hoping that somebody out there would know of some sources which would be of help.

Spoon
01-18-2006, 03:19 PM
CDEx is as god as an example you will get, a complete working program with source code, wish I had that when starting out years ago...