PDA

View Full Version : Problems with codecs

redrum_gt
01-05-2006, 01:38 AM
I dont know what else to do. Ill tell you what Ive done so far. I downloaded the trial version of dbpowerAMP v11.5 and instalded it. Then I downloaded the codecs I needed, for Real Audio [.ra .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb], the codecs were: dBpowerAMPs DirectShow Codec (Reader) and the RealAudio Encoder (writer) Codec. The next thing that I did was install both of them. Then I went to Configure DirectShow Decoder, and added .ram, .ra, .rm, to the text file. Then I tried to convert an *.ra to mp3, but whe it started the convertion, this masagge apeared:

Errors wishlist Converting:
The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Documents and Settings\*****\Escritorio\*.ra' could not be opened.
DirectShow filter for '.ra' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt.

So please help me, I must be doing something wrong. Im not familiar with this things...Its really difficult for me, so please make your answear as easy as posible, as if you were telling it to a child.

Thank you very much.

Wayne
01-05-2006, 06:15 AM
To use the DirectShow filter codec with Real Audio files you also need to install a copy of Real Alternative. Have you done so?

Wayne

xoas
01-05-2006, 06:31 AM
In order to use the DirectShow decoder to read RealAudio files you must also have RealAlternative installed and you need to authorize it as your default player for Real Audio files. You should also uninstall RealPlayer.
If you have not installed RealAlternative, the link is here:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1054136293/1

To use the DirectShow decoder to read RealAudio files, you also need to confirm the DirectShow configuration (the spot where you had to add your file extensions-.ra, .rm, etc. in a Notepad window) in dMC Configuration. To do this, open dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) Configuration. You will find dMC Configuration by going Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dBpowerAMP Configuration. Click on the tab to review your installed decoders and look at the entry for the DirectShow decoder. That line should read Release 1 .ram, .ra, .rm (and any other extensions you added). If these do not show, you will need to go back to your DirectShow configuration window and re-do the file extensions. If the RealAudio extensions do appear in dMC Configuration, click on the OK button. The codec should be properly configured at this point (assuming you have already installed Real Alternative). So try again at this point to convert your RealAudio file(s).

If you have installed Real Alternative, have you tried uninstalling RealPlayer?
If not, do so and try that. If that does not work, see if you can play your file(s) in Real Alternative. Also see if you can play your file(s) in Windows Media Player. If they will not play, then tell us. If you get an error when you try to play your file(s) that refers to a missing SampleGrabber, please follow the links on this topic from the FAQ here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8207.

The other thing to try is the older RealAudio decoder. This requires Real Player version 8. The download link for this codec is here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/dBpowerAMP-codec-ra.exe
You will need to remove Real Alternative and the DirectShow decoder (or at least remove the RealAudio file extensions from your DirectShow decoder Configuration). This codec apparently will work for some RealAudio files that the DirectShow codec cannot or will not read. It is also slower and does not show the progress of your conversion until the conversion is completed. But it is much simpler to set up and use.

It is also possible that the problem is not with your codec but with your file. Sometimes RealAudio files may be copy-protected (although this should result in a different error message I think). It is also possible that your file might not contain the actual audio data. For more information about this see the FAQ on RealAudio files here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6194.

I hope this will be helpful. If you run into further trouble, please be sure to tell us what you have tried and what results you got.

Best wishes,
Bill