PDA

View Full Version : Converting files to Ogg Vorbis

June
04-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Does anyone know why it seems to take so much longer to convert a .wav file to .ogg, compared to saving it as an .mp3 ?

It seems to take longer in all sorts of different programs, Goldwave, for instance. Perhaps it has to change more things before it converts ? I'm curious :supersmil

Razgo
04-21-2002, 08:59 PM
I don't know the technical answer, but in short it probably is because all codecs use different methods for filtering/converting.

perhaps ogg takes a little longer because of more accurate filtering methods to try and retain the best quality/performance result.

however if it is taking a really long time for you, there might be a problem?

June
04-22-2002, 07:26 AM
Thanks Razgo ! It probably bothers me more because I'm converting 5hr 'books on tape' stuff. It takes a good 25 min to convert to .ogg instead of about 5 min to convert to .mp3.

But, it's probably worth the wait since the quality is a bit better. Thanks again ~!

Razgo
04-22-2002, 08:13 AM
I never thought of converting my book tapes. I might give it a go.

June
04-22-2002, 08:51 AM
:) These aren't recordings of my voice, mind you....I'd fall asleep if I had to hear myself reading ! :yawn: They're just things recorded from records, or off the air.

But if you are interested in audio books...there's quite a bit of free stuff at www.audiobooksforfree.com The mp3's are at 24kbps, which really sounds fine for spoken word.

Luckily I get to listen to my mp3's at work, so it helps pass the time :supersmil