PDA

View Full Version : freeze on "ID tag" properties tab for MPC file

Imagine
12-07-2005, 07:37 PM
When I click on the tab for the ID tag in the properties for any MPC (musepack) file, Explorer crashes. Most of them are Musepack 1.15 alpha encoded, Braindead profile.
The popup info tips work fine for the same files, though.
Any ideas?

xoas
12-08-2005, 07:06 AM
I can replicate this same error on my machine. Most of the time Windows Explorer first "encounters a problem and needs to close" and then the Dr Watson Debugger does the same.

Files convert/play OK. Using latest Musepack codec. Files in question (per file tags) created with Musepack 1.14 Beta encoder. My files were converted at "Extreme". Tagging is Ape v2. No unicode information, album art or other potential label abnormalities are present, so far as I know. Turning off Pop-up Id information does not fix this problem.

Looks like a bug somewhere. Until it gets tracked down and fixed I would recommend not trying to access tag information for these files through the Id Tag tab on Properties.

Other question would be whether other file formats using Ape v2 tags exhibit a similar problem.

Best wishes,
Bill

Spoon
12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
What happens if you right click >> edit tag?

xoas
12-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Right-Click>Edit Tag works fine.

Spoon
12-09-2005, 11:04 AM
I think I have also seen this, me thinks that the mpc info decoder is overwriting some area of memory it shouldn't do (just like today created a new Visual Studio 2005 and added some old lib.id3v2 code to read id3v2 tags, the compiler and auto-memory buffer overrun detection was going wild with such legacy code, bugs all over the place and about 1000 compiler warnings).