PDA

View Full Version : Can't associate APE files

RussellRay
11-17-2005, 06:08 AM
Hello all

I'm setting up a new computer
and have successfully installed all of dbPA
with one exception - a problem with the APE files.

These are listed under file types in MusicConverter
but I can't get them to associate with an be played by AudioPlayer
and I cannot add them to my MusicCollection.
I've definitely installed the APE codec.

Best regards and thanks for suggestions
Ray

LtData
11-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Can another music player play these files? If it can't, then your files are corrupt.

xoas
11-17-2005, 06:52 PM
A few ideas:
1. Can you open one or few of these files in dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) and try test converting it/them? This is done just as you would do a regular conversion except that where you select your output format (such as mp3 or wave) choose "Test Conversion (No Write)". This will not create an output file but it will tell you if dMC is able to read these files or not.
2. If you right-click on one or more of these files, do you have the option displayed "Play in dAP"? If so and you right-click on such a file, will it play in dAP?
3. I know you are sure about this but could you open dMC Configuration (Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dBpowerAMP Music Converter Configuration) and confirm that it shows installed Monkeys audio encoders and decoders?

If these files won't convert in dMC and won't play in dAP, either the codec is not installed properly, the file is corrupt or he file is not an .Ape file that can be read by the dMC Monkeys codec. I believe we had one user ask about .apl files which seem to be monkeys playlist files. If I recall correctly, dMC cannot convert such files and I don't believe that dAP can play them. I don't recall seeing or hearing about incompatibilities between older and newer versions of monkeys codecs but such issues have been known to arise with other codecs. The true test is whether some other program can play these monkeys files ok.

If dMC can convert such files and dAP can play them, then the issue is one of file association. I would recommend first going to dBpowerAMP File Associations (Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP>Configuration>File Associations). Scan the menu and make sure that every instance of .ape or Monkeys audio file is associated with dAP. Make note of the pre-existing file association for these files.

This should give you a basis for proceeding. Let us know how you make out. If you need further help, please let us know the results of the actions recommended above.

Best wishes,
Bill

RussellRay
11-18-2005, 04:25 AM
Hello Bill

Thanks very much for your help.
I was able to convert the APE files with dMC.
So the Monkeys codec was properly installed and the files were not corrupt.
So I reinstalled all dbPA and suddenly everything is working as it should.

Thanks very much from Ray